XP Boffin required..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Boffin required..........

Keep seeing w32time (event id 36) generating messages in the system logs that the system time could not be syncronized "because none of the providers have been able to provide a reliable timestamp".

Our friends at Microsoft lists this as known issue and says it should go away as soon as the machine is talking to the web again - but erm........this thing is on a permanent DSL link that is not disconnected for more than a few seconds per day at most.

Anybody with a better idea than MS or are all XP machines simply running async?

"Windows Time" is running as a service - should I rather just kill it or is not related to the problem at all?

Any suggestions?
    Lawrence

Try disabling the Windows Time service if you do not need it. This synchronizes the clocks over the network. Is this a home or work mahine?

Comment

Or better yet, try synchronizing with a time server on the internet. It may knock the problem loose.

Comment

It sits in the office and also speak to the home network - will give the manual sync thing a try - cheers for the suggestion

EDITOk tried "Atomic Time Sync", and it complains about basically the same thing. checked out "readme" and found them saying this wonnt work through a proxy...............certainly not from my side am I aware of the use of a proxy - perhaps ISP does - perhaps the same cause..

Not worth the effort for .00000000000000000000000000001 time accuracy.

Will kill the service and set the time myself.

Cheers
        Last edited by LvR; 6 August 2003, 09:11.
        Lawrence

Comment

Right click on your taks bar go to Change Date/Time, it will bring up the Date and Time Properties window, select the Tab "Internet Time"

Change "time.microsoft.com" to "time.nist.gov" and your problem will go away. Microsoft's Timeserver is not always online (nor is it as accurate as the NIST). The Service executes once every seven days.

Most Chronometers built into computer motherboards are the same ones on a digital wristwatch: +/- 3 to 5 seconds per month, so Timesync is a useful feature.
          Last edited by MultimediaMan; 6 August 2003, 09:18.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Multimediaman

Spot on - just goes to show no problem is unique - problem solved.

Thanks for the interest.
            Lawrence

Comment

Working...
            X