Comparison: Panasonic camcorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison: Panasonic camcorders

Had a friend here with a Panasonic NV-DX110 and we thought of making a comparison with my NV-DX1.

Physically both cameras are 3-CCD Mini-DV, the DX-1 being 4 years old and the DX-110 brand new, both PAL. The old camera is about twice the size and 3 times the weight.

We started with a test pattern under identical conditions. This was recorded onto the same tape. Results: small differences when captured via Marvel (unfortunately, no DV capture), highest resolution. Print-outs showed the DX-110 has a small edge on horizontal resolution at the centre of the image but the DX-1 (physically much larger lens) is very slightly better on the corners. No discernable difference on gamma curve. Viewfinder on DX-1 is well centred, but the image on it is an estimated 3% smaller than the full frame. The DX-110 is an estimated 1% smaller, but this is mostly offset to left and top. No discernable colour bleed on either. The horizontal linearity is slightly better on the DX-1. Vertical performance, as could be expected, is identical.

We then took some real life shots of some flowers in the garden. Visual appreciation of the images, captured in 704 x 576 highest quality MJPEG, full screen on the monitor, showed no subjective difference, to either of us, either in terms of colour quality or luminosity. I don't believe that any practical shooting would produce a discernable difference, at least with analogue capture. I did a quick edit interspersing shots from each camera and I don't think anyone could tell whether they were taken on 1 or 2 cameras, they were so similar in quality.

The only thing I can envy him for is that he has DV I/O, which he doesn't use, yet, but I would like but can't afford. I think my monstrosity is easier to use, being larger and heavier - and more robust, perhaps??? I would very much have liked to see whether our evaluation would have given similar results with a digital transfer.

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Hi Brian!

You've just proven once again, what I've been stating over and over and over and over.....again, that Panasonic makes the best mechanics on the market, which pays out in the long run, both in durability as well as pic-quality!!!

------------------
    ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 384MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1 GB, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB 64AWE, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.
    ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Hello Brian,
      Read your comment with interest for I also have a NV-DX1 and I'm please to see that it stood up well in the comparison tests.
      With regard to the lack of a DV In/Out on our cameras, I managed to overcome this problem through purchasing the small DS11(which I then enabled) for £ 450 and using it as a VCR for the tapes from my BIG camera. The output in and out of my computer shows no apparent deterioration in quality. I'm therefore a very happy chappie.
      John

Comment

I've got a very red face because I forgot to mention the most important difference between the two cameras: the light sensitivity. We played around with the shutter speed and diaphragm but we did our tests with a constant 1/250 sec. On the DX1, the "correct exposure" to give the best test card results was with f16 and, on the DX110, it was between f4 and f5.6, under identical conditions. I found this difference astounding and it would be the explanation why the edge definition of the lens tailed off more with the DX110. It would also explain why the DX110 has a 'Low-light' button.

What is the practical implication of this? I frequently film in poorly lit old Byzantine churches, using natural light and the diaphragm is usually pretty open but rarely does the added gain kick in. With the DX110, the extra gain will kick in more readily, so that the signal-to-noise ratio would probably be poorer under poor lighting conditions.

As an approximation, my DX-1 "film speed" was 1600 ASA (32 DIN), whereas with the DX-110, it was 200 ASA (23 DIN), a helluva difference.

Why? I can only speculate and my guess is that the CCD pixel size is smaller on the new camera, out-of-proportion to the fact that the CCDs themselves are slightly smaller. With Panasonic's technique of deriving the luma signal from all three CCDs with a miniscule offset in the positioning of them, to give an **apparent** higher resolution image than 300-odd kpixel CCDs would imply, a smaller pixel size would enhance this effect. (Many 3-CCD cameras use just the green CCD or tube for the luma signal.) In practice, I didn't observe any difference.

------------------
        Brian (the terrible)
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
        X