Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon Progressive CDD Cameras?

Hi!
    I want to buy a new digi camcorder, and i stumbeld with surprise over a few Canon models, which feature what they call a Progressive Scan CCD. The models are Canon Optura, Optura Pi , Elura 10 and 20 MC, and a few models.
    What should i get from a Progressive CCD? Progressive Video? I'm confused ..
    This would be lovely as i hate deinteracing and i don't care about TV output ..
    1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,
    WinXP SP1, Drivers: 5.88, VT 2.02.

I have an Optura Pi and use it exclusively in the progressive scan mode. It basically shoots 30 full frames per second.

Advantages:

If you have good lighting you can do really nice slow motion on computers monitors and such. I often analyze sporting events for athletes, ie swimming strokes, rowing, etc...

No deinterlacing required for playback of MPEG encoded videos on the computer.

Playback on set top DVD players after compression and burn is fine as the output is automatically converted to the correct interlaced format.

Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Do you think it shoots a more "film like" video on the progressive mode?
      I know that you need more light and stuff for progressive use.
      What CCD resolution has the camera?
      (pixels and horizontal lines)

Adrian
      1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,

Comment

I have a similar Canon (MV 30, I believe it's also called Elura or Optura).

In progressive mode, movement is somewhat less smooth, you got to keep that in mind when filming.

And yes, it's rather film-like...

Playback on a TV is of course "interlaced" in the sense that the frames are splitup into odd and even fields to satisfy the tv, but both fields were still shot at the same moment in time so you have only half the temporal resolution of "true" interlaced video. Use a tripod whenever possible. Avoid fast panning. Avoid fast left-to-right or right-to-left movement.

NTSC versions have the advantage of the higher frame rate (30 fps instead of 25), but PAL users have a higher resolution plus the advantage that their footage is easily converted into 24 fps should one really wish to convert the tape to film...

The resolution is 540,000 pixels. My MV30 has an optical stabilizer which works great. The autofocus is poor (too slow), though.
        Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Well, sounds nice. I would buy a PAL based, but i can't find any except the US e-bay .. so it's going to be "never the same colour" . Thanks for info ...

Comment

Working...
          X