Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering lost data

I've got a slight problem.

I got my P4C800-E Deluxe today, and decided to have my 160 GB drive on the Promise RAID Controller and my secondary 120 GB on the primary IDE.

Having never used RAID before, I though I had to make an array on the disk in order to use it.
    I made a RAID 0 stripe on it, and tried to install Windows.
    When reaching the partition selection there, I didn't find my drive, and I had used the driver floppy disk and everything.

I thought there might be some issue with the RAID, and deleted the array and reconfigured the BIOS to use the Promise as a normal IDE host.

Upon booting the install, it reports that there are no partitions on the disk.

Since I had it filled with important stuff, I'll be very sad if I lose it all.

Upon the time of insertion into the new computer, the drive had 3 partitions, one 15GB FAT32, one 7GB Ext3 and one fat 140-ish NTFS filled to the brim with goodies.

What should I do? I have access to most utilities and have another computer with WinXP and Slack9.
    <font size="-4">User error:
    Replace user and try again.
    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
    </font>

windows XP needs servicepack 1 to see drives/partitions larger than 132GB... I suggest installing windows on your 120G drive and using the 160 as a secondary
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

SP1 is slipstreamed on the CD.
      System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
      System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
      </font>

Comment

Also, the install reports 160 decimal gigs unpartitioned space on the drive.
        </font>

Comment

I would suggest leaving the drive out of the machine untill you have windows fully up and running via another drive then see if it can be seen.. if not, then it may be time to bring out the utility programs .. not sure which is better for handeling drives this size with NTFS
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I've got Easy Recovery Pro (or something like it).
            Only prob is that my 120 is filled to the brim too, no space to install Windows on.
            </font>

Comment

Unfortunately, you're probably screwed.

If you want to give it a shot anyway, take a look at this: http://staff.washington.edu/trav/lin...partition.html

If the data is really important, you should contact a professional datarecovery company such as Ontrack Data Recovery or Drive Savers.
              Last edited by albatorsk; 5 August 2003, 12:59.

Comment

That Linux way looks interesting, I had something like that in mind, but didn't know what tools to use.

The data isn't important enough to spend lots of cash on, since it was mostly ISO and movies.
                Bad thing is that most of the discs that are ripped have gone to scratch heaven, so there are no chance of getting the ISOs back.
                </font>

Comment

Wasn't there some kind of warning when you created the array, like "Don't continue unless you're absolutley sure of what you're doing?" or anything like that?

Comment

Nope, not even a confirmation dialogue.
                    Well... the second time when the partition table was totally zeroed out, it asked me if I'd really want to make an array.

The gpart program did the trick, I've got all my data back!
                    Thanks a lot.
                    </font>

Comment

Great!

Comment

link dead
                        http://staff.washington.edu/trav/lin...partition.html comes up
                        Not Found

The requested resource does not exist on this server.
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

The link still works fine here.
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                          X