Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day at work

First day at work

I just can’t believe it…. I have spent all day in induction lectures.. I know all about the different services which are offered throughout the hospital, but do I know when and where I am working, no. Do I know how much I am getting paid… No.

I am so pissed off… I have just found out today that my job has changed pay banding as of today. I know earn £5000 less than I was expecting. That makes me short a around £350 a month after tax. Now I don’t mind earning less I am working less. But I’m not.

Infact, I work between 1-3 thirteen hour shifts per week, with the remainder being 9-5. Plus six nights a week, PLUS one weekend.

So I am going to keep a diary showing the hours that I have worked each week. I don’t mind being paid less, but I am certainly not going to work for free. What is really annoying is that I purposely phoned up last week to confirm the salary for the purpose of getting a mortgage, and they told me then that I should be getting what I was expecting. Bastards.

And then we come on to the car parking. There is very limited parking due to the trust building a new hospital directly behind. I am only allowed to park during unsociable hours i.g. before 9am and after 5pm, which to be fair is going to be most days. However, If I am seen to abuse the system (read park on-site regularly) then they have threatened to clamp the car. Now here’s the killer. I am entitled to free accommodation, which comes with a free car park space – for use all hours. Now I don’t need the room, and they are in relative short supply, but will they just give me a ‘full-time’ permit, no.

I have half a mind just to take the room and not use it. I am so close to quiting….

There are lots of vacancies in the area so finding another job won’t be difficult.

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Not the best of starts - hope it gets better tomorrow Paddy. Where's the hospital?

Just make sure you don't give up and keep on fighting your corner...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Walsgrave, Coventry.

S'ok, I am just on my second glass of wine.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Bet you open a 2nd bottle within the hour
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I cant. i could be on call tomorrow....

One more gripe. The will pay upto £4000 for relocation, however i live 3miles within the minimum boundary. Figures!

To make matters worse, I have agreed to watch 'How to loose a guy in 10days tonight' too Damn you BitTorrent!

Comment

Err they cut your pay before you started after the interview ???

Isn't that illegal???

Don't mind being payed less the managers will love you. They screwed you so leave asap and don't serve any notice.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Paddy, have you signed the contract?
              assuming that you're in the BMA, can only advise you to get in touch with your local BMA rep to see if, in their opinion, your pay scale tallies with your hours of duty etc.

Comment

Aye I am with the BMA.

They advised me to suck-it-up and keep a diary of my work hours.

I havn't even seen a contract. Apparently they are legally obliged to produce one within 8weeks, which would make me half way through the rotation

TP: I don't mind being paid less IF i work less. That my friend wont be the case. HR have dropped two pay scales by fiddling the rota.

Time will tell, but If i am only paid for X hours, I will only work X hours.

Sorry for being a pain, i just hoped that perhaps the real world would be a tad more organised.

Only time will tell.

Comment

I agree with TP. They are ****ing with the new guy to see how much shit he will put up with. I suggest you leave with no notice, put a paper bag of fresh, steamy dogshit on the administrator's doorstep, light it, ring the doorbell and run. Let him find your message on his sidewalk.. "so how much shit will YOU put up with?"

P.S. Get the other position first, and DON'T GET CAUGHT!

Comment

BTW, look at the positive side. At least you're a Dr. now.. and can afford some kind of mortgage. You could be an underpaid, underappreciated bugger like myself. (BTW, if you become one of those ****ole snobby docs I am so familiar with, I will personally come over there and kick your ass!)

Comment

Cheers guys.

Having slept on it, I am going to stay.
                      I will however document my work to the hour, and i need to find someone to countersign it each day.
                      I can't be too arsey, as i have to hand in my holiday notice

Comment

Just say your accountant is makeing you do it for tax

HR as a general rule will usually try to get away with murder, but will generally cough up if they have to.
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well.. off for day two

Comment

Ah they haven't cut your hourly rate but just the work load. Stick too your hours. Most places will try to get to work longer hours.

The normal trick is the guilt trip.
                            Why are you now taking your break look. You're a little late becuase you've just made sure a job is finnished. The supervisor will walk back around ten minutes later to enforce the guilt.
                            Do you mind just doing this while you're in lunch hour.
                            Can you just finnish this just minutes before you leave. Again the guilt trip because your collegue will do it without question.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Good luck.. don't take any of their crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X