Triple Head and Remote desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Head and Remote desktop

I logged into my work computer from home to check on some work a DBA was doing for me and ran into a strange problem.
    A tool I use for database work a lot called TOAD (Tool for Oracle Application Developers) has a separate window for logging into the database.
    The last time I logged into one before I left work I guess the log on window was on the right hand screen and the main window was on the middle screen (main).
    When I tried to log on from home, I could not get to the log on window because it kept opening on the right hand screen.
    Is there a way to switch between screens when you are remote desk topping into XP?
    The home computer is single screen.
    Work computer tripple screen (onboard Intel plus G450 dualhead)

eg:

WORK PC View:

HOME PC View:

I haven't found a way to get to the right hand screen to complete my log in.

Thanks,
    chuck
    Last edited by cjolley; 4 August 2003, 07:07.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

COMPLETE GUESS ALERT!!!!

Alt-Tab over to log-on window.
    Alt-Space, then M to select "Move Window" (you probably won't see this).
    Hold down left arrow key until window appears on your display.
    Complete login procedure.

Hope this helps.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
      COMPLETE GUESS ALERT!!!!
      Hey it's better than anything I came up with.*
      Thanks,
      chuck

* In my defense, it WAS 5:30 AM...
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

COMPLETE GUESS ALERT!!!!

Hope this helps.
        That's basically what I do when I don't feel like turning on my second monitor for a quick operation. I use the task bar to RMB select the application window, click the move operation, and then use the cursor keys to reposition the window.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

No Joy!
          Right clicking on the task bar diddn't work
          It is a stupid response window, no menu.

I wonder what the point of programming it that way was besides "I can do it"?

Oh well, I have to warn our programmers about that kind of thing from time to time.
          It's a common enough mistake.

On the other hand, any more ideas out there?
          I mean besides me remembering to keep the log in window on my main screen?

Thanks,
          Chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Wouldn't disabling the right monitor in Display Properties force the window to move to an used monitor?
            <font size="-4">User error:
            Replace user and try again.
            System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
            System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
            </font>

Comment

If you could find the registry key that stores the position of that window you could save a .reg file with it positioned in the centre screen, then just run that if you forget to leave it in centre.

Even just deleting the registry setting is likely to put it as default in the centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Zao
                Wouldn't disabling the right monitor in Display Properties force the window to move to an used monitor?
                Interesting. That works here localy.
                I'll give it a try remote when I get home.
                Chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

COMPLETE GUESS ALERT!!!!

Hope this helps.

BINGO!

I should have read your post closer.
                  While the window does not have a menu and you can't right click on it's task bar icon and get anywhere:
                  Alt-Space -> M works!

Thanks Ribbit!

Also, FYI, for Zao's suggestion..Unfortunately, I found that you don't have access to the monitor display properties through Remote Desktop. It is some sort of default abstract display.

Thanks Guys,
                  Chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                  X