Monitor making squeaky noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor making squeaky noise

For a couple of weeks now it started making a cricket like squeaky noise. Only does it in 640x480 @60Hz (resolution and refresh used at boot) and with a "cold boot", after 10 or so minutes it doesn't do it anymore (tested in windows).
    Quite annoying high pitched noise.

Think I should go service it ?

I had a similar problem with my old monitor, in my case the terrible noise was produced by the monitor intern fan.
    If you have still warranty, go to service .
    P IV 3,06 Ghz, GA-8ihxp i850e, 512 MB PC-1066 RDRam, Parhelia 128 mb 8x, 40 + 60 gb IBM 7200 upm/2048 kb HD, Samtron 96 P 19", black icemat, Razer Boomslang 2100 krz-2 + mousebungee, Videologic sonic fury, Creative Soundworks

Comment

Your monitor had a FAN? I didn't know there are monitors with fans in them - I certainly wouldn't have bought it in the first place

But I doubt that is the problem here, since it's limited to one resolution.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Could it be the case resonating ?
        (e.g. if you hold the back of the monitor, does it stop ?)

Had that problem once, took me quite a while to get it exchanged (it didn't squeake in the store , luckily at one time it did... ). If it is covered by warranty, get it exchanged...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It should still be under warranty. I'd get it replaced, just in case.

AZ

Comment

Hit the back of it - I bet it stops.

Comment

Monitor making squeaky noise

First thing I thought of when I saw your thread title is that you should check for an optical mouse.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

LOL

Honestly tho, it's about to fail. If under warranty, RMA asap, if not start saving for a new one
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It's only 4 months old.

Hmm... seems more like a power related sound. Sounds like an out of tune power counter or like a power generator (not that loud, though). Call it a buzz or humm.
                  Only does it till it warms up.

Comment

I'd get it replaced. You're still under warranty, so there's nothing holding you back

AZ

Comment

Guess I'll take up the advice and get it replaced. Only hope it squeaks, humms, buzzes... in the store also

Comment

How is LG's manufacturer service? With iiyama, you just call them, they pick it up where you live and leave you another monitor in exchange until you get your repaired one back (or a new one if they decide it's irrepairable).

AZ

Comment

Well, I don't know, I'll just take it back to the store I bought it from. Don't know if they'll open it or just send it back to LG or whatever channel they got it through for repairs and give me a permanent or temporarry replacement.

Comment

They'll just send it back. But I thought it might be easier for you to just do busines with LG directly, since with Iiyama this certainly is the case.

AZ

Comment

I'd rather deal with the shop before trying through LG.

Here's a big "huh !?" for you, I tryed it on the D-SUB and it doesn't buzz, changed back to BNC and it doesn't either now
                              Still have 32 months of waranty left, so if it fails, will it do it this year ?
                              Now that it's become sort of a "ghost" problem in my environment, I find it hard to reproduce at the shop and prove them. I'd rather wait a few more months till it busts or the problem resurfaces/aggravates

Putting my ear close to it, it makes that buzz at a lower level and been making it since I got it. Could VJ be right and the case was just resonating ?
                              Or something got in tune again when I switched inputs ?

Comment

Working...
                              X