Economy picking up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy picking up?

Well as it's 1st half 2003 reporting season for a lot of corporates, I have noticed that there are some rather good results around. Am I picking up signs of the global economy starting to pick up a bit? How are those of you in the employment market around the world finding it at the moment? Maybe it's time to start scouting around...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

I'm looking for an apprenticeship or uni (still haven't decided), and you can just about forget getting an apprenticeship place in germany atm.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hehe apprenticeships disappeared in the UK over 20 years ago

Comment

only as long as you leave Japan out of the pick up

sigh need new management we do.
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Although Toyota just became the first Japanese coporate with a AAA credit rating for a few years...

Comment

Yes, many Japanese businesses are succeding in spite of the govt.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

What's the deflation rate at the moment over there?

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                Hehe apprenticeships disappeared in the UK over 20 years ago
                I don't know if I used the right word - I meant "learn a job at a company, rather than a school". What is that called?

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Depending on the field, apprenticeship is probably correct. but also Internship could work.

Dan
                  Juu nin to iro

Comment

"On-the-job training" really. The correct word is indeed "apprenticeship" but that was historically used in terms of industrial/engineering training and formal schemes leading sometimes towards a qualification of some sort.

And as there's much much less "physical" industry in the UK than there was 20 years ago...

Comment

My money manager says things could be on the upswing, though not without dangers, primarily ME, and we aren't out of the woods yet. Portfolio is up, and that's nice! (though not nice enough to spring for a M3 CSL)

@Az, you are smart and courageous enough to jump over that Lehrling nonsense and go for something more adventureous. You are an explorer, not a ladder climber.
                      How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                      Who cares?

Comment

Certainly not out of the woods yet. But possibly "green shoots of recovery" to quote Mr Brown.

And yup, my portfolio is up too, just not quite where it was 2 years ago...

Comment

The economy here is recovering faster and faster for each day that goes by.

Comment

...we can thank GWB for the former, but not the latter.
                            How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                            Who cares?

Comment

- you mean the fall but not the rise mutz?

Comment

Working...
                              X