Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the universe a holographic projection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the universe a holographic projection?

DEEP reading here kiddies....

For those not up to the physics the summary at the end should give you an idea of a coming revolultion in how reality is being redefined;

Augurs of a Revolution

Researchers have proposed many other entropy bounds. The proliferation of variations on the holographic motif makes it clear that the subject has not yet reached the status of physical law. But although the holographic way of thinking is not yet fully understood, it seems to be here to stay. And with it comes a realization that the fundamental belief, prevalent for 50 years, that field theory is the ultimate language of physics must give way.

Fields, such as the electromagnetic field, vary continuously from point to point, and they thereby describe an infinity of degrees of freedom. Superstring theory also embraces an infinite number of degrees of freedom. Holography restricts the number of degrees of freedom that can be present inside a bounding surface to a finite number; field theory with its infinity cannot be the final story. Furthermore, even if the infinity is tamed, the mysterious dependence of information on surface area must be somehow accommodated.

Holography may be a guide to a better theory. What is the fundamental theory like? The chain of reasoning involving holography suggests to some, notably Lee Smolin of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, that such a final theory must be concerned not with fields, not even with spacetime, but rather with information exchange among physical processes. If so, the vision of information as the stuff the world is made of will have found a worthy embodiment.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 August 2003, 03:14.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yes.
    How can you possibly take anything seriously?
    Who cares?

Comment

Ahhh.....but is it The Matrix or some other program running on an impossibly large holographic display? Maybe the real truth of existance is that we're all SIMS

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 August 2003, 03:19.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

If we are all SIMS, if i ever break out, reminde me to shoot the guy who pays my subscription
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Ten thousand years ago, the Seers of the Upnishads said "All is light", meaning energy.

Ten thousand years later, science says, yeah, electrons, protrons, neutrons, etc.; i.e. all is energy, or light.

Material life is the manifestation of consciousness, or life energy out of the spiritual plane. In a sense, each of us is a chip off the old block, for lack of a better word, God.

Our "mission" is to mature through the Maya, the material projection or illusion, and in maturity return to the spiritual plane "enlightened".

From light, through the darkness (material world), back to light richer for the experience.

This "scientific" idea that the universe is a holographic projection is an intellectual projection itself, though the underlying inner disturbance is that it is beginning to dawn on a good number of chips that what the Seers of the Upnishads is true, and that the chips have forgotten their "mission" and it is about time they got back on the track.

But then again, this scientific abstraction, as many others, is part of the maturity process.
          Who cares?

Comment

Hmmm. Sounds a bit too trek.

J1NG

Comment

There is no spoon.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

My head hurts....
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

...right. Life is a treck, backpack and all. Trek is the fantasy we would rather play.

...right, the spoon disappears around the age of seven. You get a kick-start, but the rest ya gotta do yourself.

Head hurts? Stop trying to figure things out. Wonderful relief.
                  Last edited by mutz; 1 August 2003, 05:48.
                  Who cares?

Comment

The religion of Bharatvarsh (Sanatan Dharm or Hinduism) is the direct descension of the Grace of God which is manifested in the form of the Divine Bhartiya (Hindu) scriptures. Using the eternal Sanskrit language, they reveal the total philosophy of each and every aspect of God and the creation of this universe, and, at the same time, they also reveal the process of God realization (bhakti) with all the necessary informations.

Would this mean that you are Hindu, or at least a variation thereof, Mutz?

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Head hurts? Stop trying to figure things out. Wonderful relief.
                      Nah, the corner shop was selling some beer cheap last night... This morning i realise why....
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Ha! No Way! I'm just me.

The Seers of the Upnishads put things clear and simple. Everything that has been belabored since is just corruption, decoration and theft. It is the same for all religions and religeous "translations" and "clarifications". It is amazing that anything still shines through. Life is simple, but nobody wants to keep it that way.

Just trecking. Treck to this, treck from that. Trip over this, jump over that, run into something else.

Just keep'n on trecking...
                        Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
                          Just trecking. Treck to this, treck from that. Trip over this, jump over that, run into something else.

That is the best desription of life I have heard in a while.
                          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I keep hoping your avatar would trip over or run into something occasionally, but it just trecks and trecks and trecks. Doesn't he get bored?

Oh yeah! And chickens peck too!
                            Who cares?

Comment

I wish I had a greater purpose in life, but treking seems to be it. If the road does end, and I have crossed it, what is left??
                              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                              X