Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NASA's Nuclear Propulsion funding approved....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA's Nuclear Propulsion funding approved....

3 billion USD over 5 years and is called the Nuclear Systems Initiative.

Part of this program will be researching improvements to the thermoelectric nuclear power systems used on missions like Voyager for the last 30 years.

Another part of this program is expected to test a nuclear powered VASIMR electric rocket;

VASIMR

VASIMR differs from the ion drive used on Deep Space One in that it's not a low impulse drive but an engine capable of both low and high impulse output. In design terms think of it as a TOKAMAK fusion reactor core where the plasma is accelerated and ejected for thrust.

With VASIMR a Mars mission could take as little as 3 months instead of the 1-2 years using conventional propulsion.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 August 2003, 12:45.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I dont understand why the current 'mission to mars' is taking so little time to get there... I think the probe arrives in November... I only know about it because the University here was involved in its construction.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

VASIMR is the only part of that program that seems to lead anywhere, given the size of the allocated budget.

Small and dedicated team, not at all like most of government as well. Also backed by Apollo 16 astronaut, John Young.
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

3 Months?!? Now that is moving!
        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

The main potential of VASIMR outside of human trips to Mars, etc...is that it can be used to move incoming asteroids and comets...either for mining or saving the world...
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

VASIMR is the only part of that program that seems to lead anywhere, given the size of the allocated budget.
            Actually, thermoelectric nuclear power and VASIMR should go hand in hand rather nicely, since the VASIMR engine will require plenty of power to operate!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
              I dont understand why the current 'mission to mars' is taking so little time to get there... I think the probe arrives in November... I only know about it because the University here was involved in its construction.
              Mars is only 43 million miles away because of a once in 73,000 year convergence between it and Earths orbits;

If NASA and VASIMR had been ready for a manned mission this year it would have been sheer perfection.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 August 2003, 12:45.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
                The main potential of VASIMR outside of human trips to Mars, etc...is that it can be used to move incoming asteroids and comets...either for mining or saving the world...
                Pretty much. About the only thing limiting it is how much power you can apply (reactor size) and the amount of hydrogen fuel....and that could be derived from the water found both in comets and on Mars.

I can just imagine one of those reactors they use on submarines hooked up to a huge VASIMR. That should give a space ship a real nice kick in the ass...

Speaking of water on Mars...anyone notice they published more images of hydrogen accumulations (presumably water ice) around the north pole of Mars? HUGE deposits....easily enough to fuel return missions and supply water for human habitation....and most all of it within a few meters of the surface.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 August 2003, 12:43.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

This is awful! I can't believe they are really going to launch nuclear material into space! The military is going to contaiminate the universe with their evil weapons of destruction, and you people just sit around and actually think it's a GOOD THING?!?

Oh wait, I forgot... we didn't even go to the moon, so it has to just be a big hoax.

Seriously though, it's about damn time they got serious about using a real source of energy for space travel.

Comment

Seriously though, it's about damn time they got serious about using a real source of energy for space travel.
                    Well.. as the moon's made of cheese.... couldn't you simply fill a rocket with mice on treadmills???
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Not a bad idea Paddy, but the friction losses in all the moving parts would really hurt efficency. But just imagine what would happen if they put nuclear reactors on the moon and they BLEW UP!!! It could easily send the moon flying across the galaxy, and once a week it could encounter an alien planet and hang around enough for an hours worth of... nevermind.

Comment

That was mean

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                          That's right! Call me when the warp drive is online.

Paul

Comment

Yeah anyone else keep thinking about star trek impulse engines when you look at the nasa page on this?

Comment

Yup....I sure do. I also think of a phasers stun setting when I read about those microwave active denial systems (MADS). They fire every pain receptor in the skin, causing most people to drop flat.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X