DNA from fingerprints....in 15 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA from fingerprints....in 15 minutes

Even if the only evidence forensic analysts can pull from a crime scene is a fingerprint smudged beyond recognition, a new technique developed by Canadian scientists soon could harvest enough DNA from the print to produce a genetic identity.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Depends where you had your fingers before laying down the print. You could even deliberately mix in someone else's body fluids. IMHO, unreliable without qualification.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Your comment about where your fingers have been and mixing dna takes me back to being a teenager again Brian
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Anyway our police would mess it up anyway.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

hmm.. i wonder if they are using micro-asseys....

Andrea works as a forensic scientist geting DNA samples from scenes of crime... I think her extractions take a lot longer than 15mins... hmm...
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Hmmm, Interesting. But, as the article points out, leads to yet more privacy issues.
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

GNEP

Mixing DNA can be great fun, but there are better organs than fingers to do it
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Bleh. Useless technique. Kinda like going to a bar, pulling DNA from ALL the glasses used that night, and saying "SEE! A MATCH!"

Idiots.

Gpar_
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

My understanding is, that you can't get both a DNA sample and a 'fingerprint' from the same print. Something to do with the 'dusting' process.
                    I have no problem with this, provided that it is taken in the correct context.
                    Anyhow, any method of simplifying DNA extraction so that the SOCOs can do it on scene is a step forward.
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

No no no. There is NO way they can show that this is valid. The amount of contamination on your average water glass is just too high to even THINK about using this in any court of law.

Or is this gonna be one of those "well we know he was there so now we need to find proof that will hold up in court" sort of things?

Gpar_
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I suppose it will have the bonus of narrowing down the suspect list.

If used in combination with other data, it could speed up the process.

Dan
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                        X