router and mother board ECS not happy together - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router and mother board ECS not happy together - HELP

I have been going thru hell. my previous system with an ABIT motherboard worked fine...i updated now to an ecs k7s5a pro and when i turn off the computer none of my other roomates computers connected thru my dlink 604 router can access the internet. i was using the built in SIS ethernet port but changed it to a PCI based one when i started have problems...then i changed the router TWICE...and still everything works fine when my computer is on...but as soon as i turn the computer off with the new ECS motherboard everything stops that is connected with my router. The router company says it is the motherboard and so does my phone company.

Now can you help me...is ther something in the bios of the K7S5A pro that is making the ethernet card off the PCI slot malfunction and cause the router to basically stop accessing the router data stream...is there a wake on lan switch messing up...i am really needing some help here please...

regards

not knowing the dlink router.
    step 1) can the other users ping each other?
    2) check the wake on lan and disable it.

part 1) will at least tell you if the rest network still functions on the intranet side.

2) can't hurt and might help
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Have you already installed the latest firmware for the router (2.18)???
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Sounds like for some strange reason your machine is being the dns server rather than the router.
        Check the ip setup on the other machines. If your machine is the dns server remove these entries and either use the provided isp dns servers or leave them out.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Does unplugging the network cable from that PC help?
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
            Sounds like for some strange reason your machine is being the dns server rather than the router.
            Check the ip setup on the other machines. If your machine is the dns server remove these entries and either use the provided isp dns servers or leave them out.
            Sounds like this is the problem; I am not a computer expert. Where exactly do I check for dns entries? On the router? On my PC's ethernet card? Properties?

But I'll also try the unplugging of my network connection and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Make sure you are not running Internet Connection sharing. If you are, the other machines are prob getting an IP address from your machine instead of the router, thus setting them to use your machine as the gateway. Also check that your machine does not have the same IP address as the Router.
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Byock; I am looking at (WIn XP) Network connections control panel - how do I know if I am running Internet Connections? I have A dial-up icon (for my backup modem/fax); Under heading "Internet Gateway" I have "internet connection" "enabled;

Then I under "lan or High Speed Internet" I have "Lan Connection 5" which shows my Realtek etheenet card.

And below are the icons for Network setup and New Connection wizard.

Where do I look to see, as you say, "Internet Connection sharing"? ( and wouldn't disabling ICS by literal definition prevent the other computers in the house from sharing my connection? - or am I taking it too literally?)
                Last edited by blairwarner; 1 August 2003, 07:58.

Comment

Originally posted by blairwarner
                  Byock;
                  I am looking at (WIn XP) Network connections control panel - how do I know if I am running Internet Connections? I have A dial-up icon (for my backup modem/fax); Under heading "Internet Gateway" I have "internet connection" "enabled;

Then I under "lan or High Speed Internet" I have "Lan Connection 5" which shows my Realtek etheenet card.

And below are the icons for Network setup and New Connection wizard.

Where do I look to see, as you say, "Internet Connection sharing"? ( and wouldn't disabling ICS by literal definition prevent the other computers in the house from sharing my connection? - or am I taking it too literally?)

Are you using the home edition of XP becuase under the prof version I don't have the settings quite as you've decribed them.

For the modem connection right click on it choose properties and then advanced. If you've got a tick under Internet Connection sharing next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connect" you're then using internet connection sharing. Remove the tick.

Disabling this will allow other users to get the ip information from the router rather than your pc itself. Hopefully it will come alive and work properly after this. Should hopefully solve any dns problems as well.

If it still doesn't work after that you'll to go to your isp and get the connection information you need from them.

Then if you haven't got the manual for the router go to dlinks website and download it. What I've seen of it this morning it shows you step by step with pictures of what you need to do. The dns entries need to go into the router.

If it still isn't going and you're stuck come back here will all the relevant info as supplied by the isp, your internet service provider.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

my brain is melting.

To recap; I spent more time with the "tech experts' at the phone company and they agreed that somehow my XP Pro was acting as THE NETWORK for my other computers connected to the router and so when MY PC was shut off no one else connected to the router can access the web.

I tried some of the suggestions here like trying to disable the Internet Sharing Services; but I am not sure if I actually achieved that because what I did was go into the control panel and into admin tools and into "services" and disabled something called "Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" where i changed the startup from "automatic" to "disabled"...it did not seem to work...I was still THE NETWORK according to my other computers, not the router.

So therin lies the problem; the tech guys at the phone company said I have to go to microsoft and "rip out" all the guts of what XP is using to make me THE NETWORK. In otherwords disable my PC as being a network for them. And on a strange side note; when I attempt to use Network Setup Wizard in XP pro it allows you basically two options:
                    1) my computer connects DIRECTLY to the internet blah blah

2) the computer connects to the internet through other computers blah blah

Well; when I try to choose option 1 (disconnected my router and plugged the cable straight into my ethernet card) XP refuses to allow me to do this. It warns me that it CANNOT complete the network setup Wiz because other computers CANNOT connect to the internet throught this computer.

Well that sort of makes sense if I am the network and XP thinks of me as this way; so it is refusing to let me go solo.

Maybe I am misunderstanding all this; but it seems the solution to my problem lies in disable my PC in XP pro as the network. And for this solution I am hoping someone here can outline the steps for me to do this....how do I uninstall myself as THE NETWORK?

ps...and when I unplug myself from the router the other computers in the house still are receiving internet data thus reinforcing the fact that the router is just not being let to do the job of being traffic cop. This being the case, would manually entering DNS numbers help. And would they be the DNS numbers of router...confused on that issue...

ps 2.."For the modem connection right click on it choose properties and then advanced. If you've got a tick under Internet Connection sharing next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connect" you're then using internet connection sharing. Remove the tick. "

I could not locate the above in XP pro...no tick that I could see

Comment

As far as I can see (and I am a bit of a newbie with networks too), you need to stop WinXP Pro acting as a DHCP server. A DHCP server basically sits there and tells the other bits connected to the network what IP address they can have.

Part 1: Is your cable/adsl modem either connected to the router or an integral part of the router?

Part 2: Go to Network Connections, Right click as before on the LAN connection, go to properties. Now highlight the line in the box that says "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click on "properties". Tell us what is on the window that pops up (and write it down), but assuming that your router can act as a DHCP server, make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are ticked, not the ones where you specify addresses.

Do this for the other computers connected to the router as well. (Including writing down the strings of numbers (IP addresses) on the properties window if there are any.

Part 3: You might need to set up you router/reset it to act as a DHCP server. It might tell you how in its own manual.

You shouldn't have a "Allow other network connections to use this internet connection" with a LAN attachment to a router, as the computer sees a LAN, not a modem, so there is no direct connection to "share".

There might however be some other old connection settings set up in your "network connections" - eg if you ever used a different modem. Might be worth checking these as well to make sure they are not "sharing" - right click on any direct modem connections, and do the properties thing, and there should be a "sharing" tab. On that tab uncheck "Share this connection." This tab won't exist on the LAN properties, as I said before, so don't worry too much about it
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Dunno why you've gone into services you didn't need to do that.

Forget the wizard it's confusing you.

Go to my computer >: control panel > network connections.

Right click on your dialup network connection and choose properties.

Click on advanced.

Under internet connection sharing untick the box next to Allow other Network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

Click on okay if says you need to reboot for changes to take effect do so.

Now you need to get the manual on the router read it and see if it does dhcp or not. Come back and tell us what it says. Also get the IP details from your isp as you may need them later.

Note the other computers will proably lose the internet connection don't worry about that for now.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

By default the D-Link router will act as DHCP server, it will probably works as DNS proxy as well but setting the DNS server entry on the PC's to your ISP's DNS servers shouldn't cause any harm. The bit that confuses me is if your PC is acting as a DHCP server thus causing the problem then it shouldn't stop working straight away. When a DHCP server hands out an IP address to a PC it gives it a lease i.e. an amount of time that the PC can use that address before re-applying. This lease is usually a couple of days or at least a few hours so the problem with other PC's shouldn't come up until the lease has expired. As Gnep has said we need to know the settings on the other PC's as well to find out what's really going on.
                          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Cause it will stop working as the other machines will be looking for the gateway and that won't be there anymore.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

first off I REAALY APPRECIATE all you help and I'll answer your response :

Originally posted by GNEP

Part 1: Is your cable/adsl modem either connected to the router or an integral part of the router?
                              connection is from a Linksys modem i rent from the phone compnay to my router (WAN port) and from there it goes to my PC and others in the home

Part 2: Go to Network Connections, Right click as before on the LAN connection, go to properties. Now highlight the line in the box that says "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click on "properties". Tell us what is on the window that pops up (and write it down), but assuming that your router can act as a DHCP server, make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are ticked, not the ones where you specify addresses.

all I get when i right click is the TCP IP box configured to obtain an IP address automatically as is the DNS server automatic

Part 3: You might need to set up you router/reset it to act as a DHCP server. It might tell you how in its own manual.

In my router admin page I DO have it set up as DHCP server enabled with the 192.168.xxx.xxx numbers under the client table and the lease is for a week.

There might however be some other old connection settings set up in your "network connections" - eg if you ever used a different modem. Might be worth checking these as well to make sure they are not "sharing" - right click on any direct modem connections, and do the properties thing, and there should be a "sharing" tab. On that tab uncheck "Share this connection." This tab won't exist on the LAN properties, as I said before, so don't worry too much about it

I did that and there is just a dial up USR modem in there and no sharing is enabled; But yes you are right I on LAN properties there is no share this connection tab on the LAN properties...

Comment

Working...
                              X