I'm fed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm fed up

Well the muscles in my back are acting up again. I'm also getting jabs of pain at the top of my legs and pins and needles sometimes as well.
    Thats bad news for the garden and of course it's going to fine so everything is going to grow like mad.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I usually do crunches when the back is acting up. Do 25 in the morning and 25 in the evening. After about three days your back is fine. Keep it up at least 3-4 times a week to keep the pain away for good and take a little off the tummy.

In case you don't know what crunches are, they are like sit-ups, but on steriods. Get into a sit-up postion, lift your feet off the ground and lift up your legs so your thighs are perpedicular to the ground and the calves parallel.

Put your hands behind your head and elbows forward. Do a standard sit-up motion until your elbows hit your knee ... or as far as you can go. For a more complete lower back and abdominal crunch, you can pump your legs forward and back while you do the crunches.

Until the muscles strengthen up, advil or motrine works wonders.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Not to freak you out but pain in the legs and pins and needles refer to nerve problems not muscle problems. Sometimes stressed muscles can help aggrevate other problems though. Is the pain on the front or the back of the legs?

If you haven't already, go to the doctor and get it checked out.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Jammrock, my sports teacher once told us that folding your hands behind your neck isn't good, because you always end up using your arms to pull you up - it's better to just barely touch your ears with your hands.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
          Not to freak you out but pain in the legs and pins and needles refer to nerve problems not muscle problems. Sometimes stressed muscles can help aggrevate other problems though. Is the pain on the front or the back of the legs?

Dave
          Pins needles normally the at the top and on the front often followed by a brief burning sensation. Doesn't normally last very long and it's been going on for years on and off.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by az
            Jammrock, my sports teacher once told us that folding your hands behind your neck isn't good, because you always end up using your arms to pull you up - it's better to just barely touch your ears with your hands.

AZ
            umm... wouldn't that kind of defy gravity?

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia

Dave
              A lot of times it's caused by the disks in the back going out of place and pinching the nerves. Most lower back pains are caused by both the abdominal and lower back muscles (can't remember the name right now) getting too weak to support your body. So when you move the disks slide too much and pinch the nerves.

By doing something simple like crunches, you restrengthen your back and ab muscles and prevent the back discs from shifting and pinching the nerves.

I've had a ton of back troubles in my days, one of the reasons I quit (American) football, so I know a ton of stretches and excersizes that help aleviate back and neck problems.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Some studies are also showing a link between chronic back pain and smoking. If this is an effect of nicotine constricing the blood vessels & causing cramping or if it's modifying the neurochemistry of pain sensing is up for grabs, but it looks real.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                  umm... wouldn't that kind of defy gravity?
                  I just worded it badly - you use your arms in a futile attempt to lift your head with them.. actually, you do lift your head with your arms, so that you won't have to use your chest and neck muscles as much. Or so.

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                    Pins needles normally the at the top and on the front often followed by a brief burning sensation. Doesn't normally last very long and it's been going on for years on and off.
                    You could have (as already mentioned) a pinched nerve, herniated disc, degnerative discs, or other injury. You should find out what is causing it so you can avoid doing things that stress out the problem. The burning sensation is definitely a sign of a damaged nerve.

BTW, I have nerve problems which is why I know what all of these symptoms are.

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                    X