10-bay Antec vs 14-bay Chieftec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-bay Antec vs 14-bay Chieftec

OK, case and PSU are next on my upgrade list (gradual upgrade).

The PSU will be 480W Antec truepower, I still haven't decided on the case (getting either case sans PSU).

I consider this case as a long term (in computer dimensions) investment.

After HDD and videocard upgrade the heat went up and so did the noise (increased RPM of case and CPU fan in ordher to compensate).

Requirements:
    • Drive bays: Right now I have 1HDD, 1FDD and 3 optical drives. The current generic midtower (3-3) is practically full.

I could potentially add 1 or 2 SCSI HDDs, 1 IDE drive, 1 IDE portable HDD rack with IDE HDD, DVD burner. If I'll need more storage, I'll build a fileserver with ATA JBOD or ATA RAID, based on current CPU/MoBo combo. I could live with both cases, however, the 4-2-4 case would not handle 4 opticals and IDE 5.25" HDD rack.
    • Number of Fans: As much intake fans as possible (IIRC both cases can have 3 intake fans, exhaust fans = intake - 1 + PSU). Fans are going to be Zalman F1s @ 1800RPM (5 case fans + 2 CPU coolers)
    • Portability: This is going to be a workstation box, however, I do take it elsewhere (to work at a friend, to work, ...) or to a LAN about few times per year to once per month. IMO the difference between ability to carry case arround is not that different between the two. I could potentially build an extra gaming rig next year.

Q1I could fit both under desk, however, the Chieftec would fit by 1cm (will measure the case to make sure).
    • Cable length consideration: ATA: Even If I get the taller case, only the bottom two 5.25" bays will be ATA. Therefore, I could handle them in spec with 45cm (18" cables). If not, I could get single connector 60cm (24" cable).

SCSI: Ultra = 1.5m total length, Fast = 3m total length. I plan to keep/upgrade SCSI opticals. I also have a SCSI scanner, which I plan to use for a year at least. The scanner cable is 1m long.

My SCSI bus looks like this:
      Code:
      UMAX ASTRA 2200U+S (ID1)---Adaptec 2904 PCI Fast host adapter(ID7)---Teac CD-ROM532S(ID4)---Teac CD-R56S(ID6)
      Perhaps I could manage with Ultra, if not I can set it to Fast, connect Scanner to USB or get a FW Scanner. The smaller case would be better for Ultra SCSI bus.

LVD (HDDs): LVD specs are a bit more relaxed and HDD cages are at the bottom, so this is not concerning me.

SATA: What's the SATA length?

Q2:Would it be worth to go to round cables? Right now I managed to nicely fold flat ribbon cables at both sides of case (SCSI, ATA, FDD), so that they don't block the airflow.

Getting round internal SCSI cables would be expensive and they're not available here.
    • Price: Chieftec retails for 100$, Antec could be had for about ~70$ (both sans PSU). I'll see what exact prices can I get on both cases.
    • Colour I'm getting a black case (moving from beige to black, silver CRTs are scarce, so that is out). Both cases can be had in black.

Cases:
    Antec SX1040BII

SPECS (those that matter):
    Height = 52.3cm = 20.6"
    10 (4-2-4) drive bays
    Fits up to Extended ATX

Chieftec CS2001 (DA-01)

Height = 67cm = 26.4"
    14 (6-2-6) drive bays
    Fits different size M/B, including 12"Wx 13"L XEON motherboard.

Q3: Do you believe that cooling will be significantly better in bigger case?

Q4: So what do you think?

Based on cable considerations, I'm inclining towards smaller case.

WRT to specs:

I'll be getting Tyan TigerMPX (they don't keep them here, so it takes about a week) now or in 3 weeks.

The main rig will have current specs - BX/PII/PC133 - SB64 PCI + Tyan TigerMPX/2x Bartons/ECC PC2100/2700 + Hercules Digifire 7.1.

If BX133 RAID survives caps surgery, I'll build a rig for my bro, otherwise he's getting the PII. Also in that case I'll build a fileserver out of PII latter on.

Comment

Re: 10-bay Antec vs 14-bay Chieftec

Originally posted by UtwigMU
      OK, case and PSU are next on my upgrade list (gradual upgrade).

The PSU will be 480W Antec truepower, I still haven't decided on the case (getting either case sans PSU).

I consider this case as a long term (in computer dimensions) investment.

After HDD and videocard upgrade the heat went up and so did the noise (increased RPM of case and CPU fan in ordher to compensate).

Requirements:
      • Drive bays: Right now I have 1HDD, 1FDD and 3 optical drives. The current generic midtower (3-3) is practically full.

I could potentially add 1 or 2 SCSI HDDs, 1 IDE drive, 1 IDE portable HDD rack with IDE HDD, DVD burner. If I'll need more storage, I'll build a fileserver with ATA JBOD or ATA RAID, based on current CPU/MoBo combo. I could live with both cases, however, the 4-2-4 case would not handle 4 opticals and IDE 5.25" HDD rack.
      • Number of Fans: As much intake fans as possible (IIRC both cases can have 3 intake fans, exhaust fans = intake - 1 + PSU). Fans are going to be Zalman F1s @ 1800RPM (5 case fans + 2 CPU coolers)
      • I have a Cheiftec version of the smaller 1040B, 2 intake, 2 exhaust (3 if you count PSU)
      • Portability: This is going to be a workstation box, however, I do take it elsewhere (to work at a friend, to work, ...) or to a LAN about few times per year to once per month. IMO the difference between ability to carry case arround is not that different between the two. I could potentially build an extra gaming rig next year.

It is NOT portable, I HATE lugging this thing around. And as I said, it's the smaller one.

Q1I could fit both under desk, however, the Chieftec would fit by 1cm (will measure the case to make sure).
    • Cable length consideration: ATA: Even If I get the taller case, only the bottom two 5.25" bays will be ATA. Therefore, I could handle them in spec with 45cm (18" cables). If not, I could get single connector 60cm (24" cable).

SCSI: Ultra = 1.5m total length, Fast = 3m total length. I plan to keep/upgrade SCSI opticals. I also have a SCSI scanner, which I plan to use for a year at least. The scanner cable is 1m long.

My SCSI bus looks like this:
      Code:
      UMAX ASTRA 2200U+S (ID1)---Adaptec 2904 PCI Fast host adapter(ID7)---Teac CD-ROM532S(ID4)---Teac CD-R56S(ID6)
      Perhaps I could manage with Ultra, if not I can set it to Fast, connect Scanner to USB or get a FW Scanner. The smaller case would be better for Ultra SCSI bus.

LVD (HDDs): LVD specs are a bit more relaxed and HDD cages are at the bottom, so this is not concerning me.

SATA: What's the SATA length?

Q2:Would it be worth to go to round cables? Right now I managed to nicely fold flat ribbon cables at both sides of case (SCSI, ATA, FDD), so that they don't block the airflow.

I've found that folding plain ribbon cables is much easier to manage, IMO.

Getting round internal SCSI cables would be expensive and they're not available here.
  • Price: Chieftec retails for 100$, Antec could be had for about ~70$ (both sans PSU). I'll see what exact prices can I get on both cases.

• Colour I'm getting a black case (moving from beige to black, silver CRTs are scarce, so that is out). Both cases can be had in black.

• Cases:
    Antec SX1040BII

Height = 52.3cm = 20.6"
    10 (4-2-4) drive bays
    Fits up to Extended ATX

Chieftec CS2001 (DA-01)

Height = 67cm = 26.4"
    14 (6-2-6) drive bays
    Fits different size M/B, including 12"Wx 13"L XEON motherboard.

Q3: Do you believe that cooling will be significantly better in bigger case?

Q4: So what do you think?

Based on cable considerations, I'm inclining towards smaller case.
    The prices are not bad, cable lengths are fine my case.

Comment

May I suggest Panaflo L1As for case fans, and MAudio Revolution for the sound card?

Comment

Yes, you may also buy them on Newegg, board a plane and bring them along.

Seriously: The Pabsts (some of the better fans to be had here - small market) are 15$ a piece while Zalmans are 5$. The performance is not 3-times better.

Could you please link MAudio Revolution?

Basically the market is small here and enthusiast market is even smaller, so there's a huge premium on everything decent (such as PSUs, cases, fans...)
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 31 July 2003, 09:27.

Comment

The reason for Hercules is Firewire port.

Comment

As a soundcard, I highly suggest the Terratec 6Fire 24/96. It's a GREAT card, especially for music, but also for games. It's about the best sounding card you can get for the money (I think it shares the DSP with the M-Audio revolution).

I have a chieftec CS601 miditower, and it's HEAVY. The bigtower is definately not a PC to carry about. That said, the chieftecs and Antecs are very similar AFAIK.

BTW, if you can do with a 350 W PSU, the Seventeam ST-350HLP is quite cheap, good, reliable, and very quiet.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oh yes, firewire on soundcards might not be as good as onboard, or on firewire cards, but I don't know how this is twith the Hercules. I only know that my 6Fire sounds FANTASTIC.

AZ

Comment

Forget soundcard, I won't violate soundcard worth more than speakers rule here (as I did with graphic card - worth more than displays - just because I got a good price on it and it was a requirement for better displays).

I might even get Muse untill I overhaul monitors and then transfer it to other rig and get serious soundcard.

Comment

I'd recommend a good soundcard and good, reasonably priced headphones, like the Sennheiser HD497 I got. Amazing clarity, and I paid ~50 EUR for the cans.

AZ

Comment

Hmmm are you sure that is a chieftech DA-01 ?

Here is what mine looks (looked like over 1 year old pics) like!

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Is that WTX?

Crazy lookin'

Comment

You might consider an external SCSI box. I like the flexibility (move between systems) and power/heat benefits it provides (separate PS and fans, and not contributing heat to the main box). You might also be able to locate the box where it doesn't contribute as much noise as it would if the devices were in the main box.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                          Is that WTX?

Crazy lookin'
                          Nope http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...light=Chieftec
                          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by az
                            As a soundcard, I highly suggest the Terratec 6Fire 24/96. It's a GREAT card, especially for music, but also for games. It's about the best sounding card you can get for the money (I think it shares the DSP with the M-Audio revolution).

I have a chieftec CS601 miditower, and it's HEAVY. The bigtower is definately not a PC to carry about. That said, the chieftecs and Antecs are very similar AFAIK.

BTW, if you can do with a 350 W PSU, the Seventeam ST-350HLP is quite cheap, good, reliable, and very quiet.

AZ
                            you mean they both use the *VIA* Envy24....(actually I don't think VIA has had time enough to muck up the Envy24 seriously...yet...)

Comment

• Working...
                              X