133 FSB won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 133 FSB won't boot

We've just got an Asrock K7VT2 and Athlon XP2400+, put our existing 133 memory in (generic) and it hangs and it won't boot. We can hear (we think) it doing the memory check but only ever get a blank screen. It boots fine on 100FSB but CPU is reported (obviously) as running at 1500. The previous board only ran at 100 FSB so could the memory be to blame?

Thanks,

Dave
    Don't make me angry...

Perhaps far fetched, but can you boot without the memory ? I can imagine not much software will run, but shouldn't the initial boot work ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

nope, it won't boot without mem installed. It would fail the post check.

I'd go with the mem being the problem, have seen this issue before.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Ah, ok... (didn't know that)
        But would you see something on the display ?

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Greebe, it was the memory, put in some 266 DDR memory (that I paid a fortune for in PC World this afternoon) and it booted up in 133 FSB no problems.

Thanks all!

Dave
          Don't make me angry...

Comment

Yeah, probably the memory. If you can't get ahold of diff RAM, try putting them on really lazy BIOS settings.

Comment

Originally posted by dave m
              Greebe, it was the memory, put in some 266 DDR memory (that I paid a fortune for in PC World this afternoon) and it booted up in 133 FSB no problems.

Thanks all!

Dave
              Whoa, simultaneous posts! Good stuff.

Comment

Doesn't it make you feel good to be proved right the very second you are returned to the thread

Interesting thought about the lazy BIOS settings, but now I've got the new memory in I'm sure you'll forgive me for not going back and experimenting with the old stuff

Dave
                Last edited by dave m; 31 July 2003, 10:08.
                Don't make me angry...

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  Ah, ok... (didn't know that)
                  But would you see something on the display ?

Jörg
                  you would think so, but no, you would get a bios beep code, but no display.
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by dave m
                    Doesn't it make you feel good to be proved right the very second you are returned to the thread

Interesting thought about the lazy BIOS settings, but now I've got the new memory in I'm sure you'll forgive me for not going back and experimenting with the old stuff

Dave
                    Forgiven. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                      you would think so, but no, you would get a bios beep code, but no display.
                      Thanks!
                      (good to know if I run into memory problems )

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Working...
                      X