Hardware MJPEG Playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware MJPEG Playing

I've been trying to do some quality comparisons on captured videos.
    First thing I found was that Windows Media Player 6.4 behaves strange with zoom.
    Matrox MJPEG plays at 200% of setting.
    When playing zoomed (not full screen but e.g. 200%), the first instance of WMP shows blocky pixels (2x2), but the following instances are smooth (not only MJPEG, but YUV, MPEG1 & MPEG4 too)
    I believe that this has to do with Hardware & software codecs, would someone please explain me what happens?

MediaPlayer is just interpolating the data to the larger display size, and not too well. The "zoom" you're experienceing can be fixed by entering the setups for MP which are in its View/Options/Playback/Zoom menu. Set it for 100%.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

DrMordrid:
      I know the zoom option in WMP 6.4
      I'll try to explain better my question:
      I capture 352x288 & when playing in WMP6.4 (100% zoom checked!) it shows in 704x576 (I didn't measure it exactly). Other sources (e.g. the same video but MPEG 1 compressed) plays at 352x288.
      2nd part of the subject:
      (not very related to the previous)
      I got a clip (let's use the same MPEG 1 352x288), and play it at 200% zoom in WMP.
      It shows the blocky pixels.
      I start a new instance of the SAME video (double clicking again) and it shows interpolated!
      That happens whatever the source format (MJPEG, MPEG 1, YUV & MPEG 4).
      Thanks

Comment

When you play an AVI file with MP 6.4, the first instance will use the hardware codec. This will make (I think Matrox set it to work this way) the video at 704x576 even if it's 352x288. Very similar to TV-Output: when playing and AVI 352x288 the video on TV is always FULL SCREEN. When you open another AVI MJPEG (without closing the other), the hardware codec is still "busy" coz the first MP is "using it". So the second will be played with "software" codec (so you see "squares" and the size is the "true" size). I read somewhere that Matrox clearly said that the codec can be used from ONE application at a time.
        (Example: try to play an AVI file when the PC-VCR Remote is open).

:-)

Marco

Comment

Working...
        X