iMac screen clicking upon sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iMac screen clicking upon sleep

Got an older iMac and when it goes into sleep the screen will make a clicking noise like it is turning off and on repeatedly. The power light will be lit and dim accordingly.

Any ideas?
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

hmmm, older computer moniters may have a fair bit of dust in them and you can soemtimes get a bit of static crackling while static disapates...

Does it stop after a bit, or does it keep going ?

Comment

Power management settings? bad wiring?

Comment

Don't Macs always make stupid annoying noises ???
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Can't say I ever really worked with Imacs, or macs in any other shape, but here is a guess
          Is the power / sleep button stuck in making it reset on itself, hence making the monitor power on/off really quick?.
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

had an old monitor that squeeked like a mouse, the cat sat on the computer chair for hours to catch the mouse
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm gonna try messing with the internal buttons, but iMacs are a bitch to open, so I try to avoid it.

The clicking continues until the computer is woken up.

I could turn off power saving for them, but when you have a lab full of computers, I'd rather be able to save some energy.

That's a good way to keep the cat busy for a while

Thanks for the input though,
              Thien
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

See this handle? That's a great feature, because then you can use it as a ****ING BOAT ANCHOR!

Gpar_
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Or..... take the ****ing thing outside to a big empty field and do the iMac Hammer throw
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I once had a slightly similar problem with a cheapo 14" monitor. After installing Linux (Yggdrasil) and X-windows (I played safe and said 640x480), when X-windows loaded, the screen flashed bright white, and then made a loud click-noise (power light blinked along with the clicks). The store said it was stuck in powersave (it didn't respond to anything, just kept clicking - even after unplugging), but the monitor didn't support this . Turns out some fuses internally had blown.

Could you problem have something to do with worn out internal components ?

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                      Don't Macs always make stupid annoying noises ???
                      *quack* what *ding* stupid noises? (*quack*)

--ever had a computer science teacher working on a powerbook with the stupid duck sound set as default sound during exams?--

Comment

Working...
                      X