Which Optical Mouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Optical Mouse?

I was wondering which optical mouse would be recommended these days. The cost is not a huge concern, as long as it tracks well, does not have jumpy behaviour ( like my first generation Logitech!), can track well on a standard Ikea beech table top ( kinda reddish and shiny, which is a bad combo for optical mice I know).
    Is cordless optical worth it, or is combining two jumpy technologies as bad as I suspect it to be?

Thanks
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Nah some cordless are ok. The Logitech MX300 (if I have that model number right) is an AWESOME mouse.

The trick is getting it running WITHOUT using Mouseware, which is not always easy.

Gpar_
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I've heard good things about the new Logi MX mice, but I don't like them since they don't fit my hand very well, and the right mouse button is too easy to press on accident.

The best and only really good advice I can give you is just try the mice out and take the one you like best - remember, fancy features, nice design and a big brand name won't do you any good if you get a hand cramp every time you use it.

So just take the one that fits your hand best, if it doesn't have any jumping problems.

BTW, I'd recommend getting an everglide optical pad - it's butt ugly, but the mouse glides soooo smoooooth on it, it's washable, and only like 2mm thick.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It's the MX700, and you're right, mouseware is EVIL in capitals.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The MX500 is the wired version.

But because of some nice RF tricks Logitech uses the wireless MX700 is pretty much just as fast. It comes with a pair of rechargable batteries and a the base unit where the RF receiver is houses the recharger.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So the logitech mice track well on shiny surfaces now? ( as shiny as an Ikea Desktop that is).. in that case I will go get another one of them, I like the feel of them.

Thanks again

Logitech MX-300 Optical Mouse $36 CDN
            Logitech MX-500 Optical Mouse $60 CDN
            Logitech MX-700 Optical Mouse $83 CDN
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Mouse wear...
              Attached Files
              How can you possibly take anything seriously?
              Who cares?

Comment

MX700 all the way baby... Has anyone got Intellipoint to work with it??? If so, what mouse did you say you had?
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I use Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0, and I'm very satisfied with it! My brother has a Logitech cordles optical mouse, and it eats bateries quickly!

Comment

MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 here too. Won't switch to anything else unless it happens to be my A3 Graphics tablet.

J1NG

Comment

I'm using the MX700 primarily and a Wireless Intellimouse Explorer as backup if I forget to charge the MX700.
                      The difference in accuracy and responsiveness is huge.
                      The MS mouse lags and are hard to hit stuff with.

My Minesweeper scores are way better with the MX700
                      <font size="-4">User error:
                      Replace user and try again.
                      System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                      System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                      </font>

Comment

Intellimouse Optical or whatever here. Wires don't bother me on a mouse, but never want to use a ball mouse again

Also having lots of buttons is nice too.
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I've got an Intellimouse Optical as well, best mouse I've ever owned. Personally, as to Logitech mice, I absolutely cannot stand the shape of them, really starts to bother me after about, oh, 30 seconds of use. Maybe it's just cause I'm used to the shape and size of the IM Optical, as most Logitech mice are smaller than it is.

I also really dislike the extra weight batteries give to cordless mice, and you have to worry about replacing them, etc. I've never had much luck with wireless mice or keyboards, and it's not like I drag my keyboard and mouse around enough to need it anyway.

Ian
                          Primary System:
                          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                          Seccondary System:
                          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                          Tertiary system
                          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Hi:

I use the MX700 and its software. I find using a 3M Precise Optical Mousing Surface pad gives me just the right amount of slippiness(?) to overcome the increased inertia of a heavier mouse.
                            The mouse and Logitech software works just fine here. I have a number of USB devices, most of them Logitech and all run nicely:

Logitech M700 Cordless Optical Rechargeable USB mouse; Logitech Cordless USB Keyboard; Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick. Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Canon S750 BJ USB 1.1 printer; Canon D1250U2F USB 2.0 scanner; 2x D-Link DSB-H4 powered 4 port USB v1.1 hubs.
                            Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; WinXP HE SP1 full/clean

Happy trails,
                            WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
                            1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

The 3M Precise Mousing Surface is great, using one right now with a Logitech Dual Optical.

Comment

Working...
                              X