No announcement yet.

Why are xD picture cards so expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are xD picture cards so expensive?

Any explanations?

Are they so much faster than i.e. SD cards? Or is it just another example of companies "strong-arming" customers?

Well, for one, they are smaller....
    Perhaps also less common (so less manufacturers make them, so the price can remain high)...
    Perhaps there are licences that manufacturers must obey when making them (e.g. pay certain amount to "creators" of the xD card)...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

...and they're newer

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

they are not that expensive? at least not in Singapore/Taiwan/Hong Kong

Comment

Well... Here 256 Mb xD picture card costs around 200$, while SD costs 100$...

I think Fujifilm and Olympus together with one more company created xD standard for one reason or another... I'm just being curious. Is it simply to draw more money from customers, or the new type of card has some advantages over the older types? Heh... I think it's the first choice.

Comment

Actually here they are both about the same price: $130 cndn for 256mb, and I have seen them as low as $100.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

You can get 256 MB for 100 EUR and 128 MB for 47 EUR (both Fuji xD cards).
              These are the lowest pricetags so far here in germany.
              I'm currently taking a closer look at the Olympus C-740 (10x optical zoom and 3.2 MPixel).
              Nice toy!
              cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
              ---
              Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
              JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
              Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

BTW, Minolta just announced the Dimage Z-1. 10x zoom F2.8-F3.5 lens, 3 MP, 450 EUR, spacey design, manual controls, innovative EVF... Also, Fuji recently announced another 10x zoom cam...

Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

AZ

Comment

Euhm, fellow moderator, isn't this very off topic ? The Z1 doesn't use xD cards...

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Comment

Fellow Moderator, this was in response to magog's semi-Off Topic post. Let's not split threads, shall we?

AZ

Comment

Not quite, Fellow Moderator...
                        The camera Magog mentioned *does* use xD cards... However, you followed the 10x-zoom aspect of his post... So I think I can let this one pass now...

Some more info of the EVF on the Z1:
                        Tech Talk - Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

(about halfway down, there is a flash animation; looks strange to me... )

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Working...
                        X