Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which capture card?

Hi All

I am asking for advice with regard to replacing my Marvel without breaking the bank. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Also audio recording is extremely low. Is it the BOB?

Thanks in advance

Des
    Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Mother Board
    Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
    1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
    RT X10
    Millenium G550
    Main HDD Seagate 40gb
    2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
    Win XP SP2
    Adobe Premiere 6.5
    DVDWS 2
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
    Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

What kind of camcorder do you have?

If a DV camcorder you just need an IEEE-1394 interface card, which runs about $30 or so.

If an analog camcorder then the Canopus AVDC-100 is the ticket as it provides both DV and analog I/O while capturing to the excellent Canopus DV codec. You would use the DV presets on the timeline. There are cheaper converter boxes, but not with the Canopus DV codec chip and their product support. It does require you have an IEEE-1394 card to connect it to the computer though. $299 not counting the IEEE-1394.

If you want to go further and dip your toes into the waters of realtime then the Matrox RT.X10 Xtra is excellent. It provides realtime previews, both digital and analog I/O, a ton of very cool effects and is overall an excellent intermediate editing solution. It comes with and requires Premiere. $499 or less, depending on where you get it.

Next is the Big Dawg: the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme. This is the balls-to-the-walls realtime card in the low-mid priced market. Charlie (Chazz) White at Digital Media Net recently put this one in his Coolness Roundup list (it's on page 2) and I completely agree, especially with the new Xtreme drivers. Add the upcoming Premiere Pro and watch out....

RT.X100 Xtreme features include realtime high quality chromakey, realtime IEEE-1394 export and realtime export to the HDD plus a ton of mind bending effects, all of them highly keyframable, and you can mix many of them while still maintaining realtime. About $999.

With either the RT.X10 or RT.X100 many effects can be applied as both a transition and a video filter, which means some very creative combinations are possible.

Both the RT.X10 and RT.X100 also have MediaExport; a batch encoding module that lets you encode the timeline to multiple MPEG, Windows Media or Real Media profiles in one sitting. Just define what you need, click OK and go have dinner.

I love my RT.X100, even if it makes me use Premiere

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 July 2003, 13:31.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Recording from, DV camcorder / VHS / TV/ IEEE-1394 interface card.

Thanks for the info. $$$ wont stretch to the RT x 100 but the RT x10 sounds the go. I am in Oz. I guess you are talking $US.

Any clues on the low audio recording levels??

Des
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 July 2003, 16:10.
      Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
      1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
      RT X10
      Millenium G550
      Main HDD Seagate 40gb
      2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
      Win XP SP2
      Adobe Premiere 6.5
      DVDWS 2
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
      DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
      Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Comment

Yes, I'm talking USD.

As for levels that could be due a level control being out of adjustment. I'd check the line in control and the master. This can also happen with the audio controls in the PC-VCR tool getting set out of whack.

Another potential problem is the audio cable itself. A very slight break or oxydization on the contacts can cause a high resistance.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 July 2003, 16:15.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks Mate

Much obliged for your help

Des
          Intel 3.01GHZ CPU
          1024 mb KingMax DDR ram
          RT X10
          Millenium G550
          Main HDD Seagate 40gb
          2nd HDD Seagate 120gb
          Win XP SP2
          Adobe Premiere 6.5
          DVDWS 2
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
          DVD Burner Sony DRU-510A
          Sony HandycamDCR-PC100e

Comment

I chose the ADVC-100 solution, over a year ago, to replace my Marvel and have never regretted it. It's a bloody marvellous piece of goods. For 99% of the time, it is at least as good as the Marvel, if not better.

With MSP7, it is also useful during editing to get real time TV monitoring, without locking up a port. This means that with a Parhelia, you can have 3 monitors +TV, With a G-550 2 + TV or with a bog standard single screen card, 1 + TV.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
            X