Bench power supplies/transformers for peripherals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench power supplies/transformers for peripherals

OK. I've now had enough of having a separate blooming power supply/transformer/adapter/wall-wart (whatever you want to call it) for each external peripheral and other bits that surround my desk. There's one for the printer, one for the router, one for the modem, one for the speakers, etc.

All with a variety of different voltages and currents (I guess between 5V and 12V DC, and 200mA to 1000mA - so ranging up to perhaps 12W maybe?)

Is there such a thing as a reasonably cheap multiple-output adapter that runs off a single mains plug? I guess like the bench power supplies we had at school/university. But more tailored towards computer peripherals. If so, please let me know your recommendations.

I guess Greebe, if around, would be fairly well qualified to comment (amongst others of course!)

Cheers

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

That's not a problem to make. First find out what voltage each perph requires. Most take 12vdc, then add up the current required to run each. The PS of choice will need to be ~1.5x greater than the sum, ie if you require 10amps then ~15 amps will be required. (note: this is only to ensure that there is enough current when powering up as each device will take considerably more power when powering up than once running).
    If you require a lower V, lets say 5 or 7vdc you can add this to the 12vdc supply as a seperate regulator section. each output will need to be filtered so that noise doesn't affect other devices/act like an antenna. Ferrite cores work quite well for this.

I have a gutsy unregulated 12vdc 15amp supply that powers several different things. Pioneer car radio, Grundig shortwave reciever, computer speakers, etc.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hmmm I was hoping I wouldn't have to go and make one...

Thanks though Greebe - would a spare PC PSU be a good starting point? Or would I have trouble getting around the control circuitry which talks to the mobo?

I will check what all the periphs are taking tonight. The max voltage AFAIK is 12, with everything else at or below that.

G

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
        Hmmm I was hoping I wouldn't have to go and make one...

Thanks though Greebe - would a spare PC PSU be a good starting point? Or would I have trouble getting around the control circuitry which talks to the mobo?

I will check what all the periphs are taking tonight. The max voltage AFAIK is 12, with everything else at or below that.

G
        Your over estimating the the PSU's
        It's simply two leads that had to be conected to each others
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Oh. I see That should make things easier then. Anyone know of any useful online guides where I can learn about how to safely muck up this spare PSU?

Am home now so will shortly post details of the various voltage requirements...

Comment

This is what is written on three of the adapters as the output:

1) 7.5V, 1.5A
            2) 9V, 1A
            3) 12V, 4.2A

The others are buried/difficult to look at

So that's 3 different voltages already

Comment

Get a cheap PC power supply, and then make regulators for the voltages that aren't available. You'll get +5 and +12 on a number of drive connectors, so just make (or buy) regulators that will go down to the 7.5V or the 9V that the other things need.

(DON'T go between +5 and +12 to get +7 - this would give you a very nasty introduction to a "ground loop" )

- Steve

Comment

Cheers Steve. As said, I have the spare PSU, so just need to source some regulators and start planning...

Comment

/me slaps myself

Of course, I read "Wall Wart" when you wrote "PSU"

Duh

- Steve

Comment

A good source of info:http://www.epanorama.net/links/psu.html
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Ooo - thanks GT - lots of interesting reading to be done tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                      X