Omega Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega Drivers

Came across these the other day...anyone know anything about them?

Pop over to Driverheaven or Rage3d and see what people say about them. I've used them in the past due to bugs in the ATI drivers. I don't have many problems now so I don't bother using them.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

They add support for a couple of chipsets that ATI normally doesn't support - mostly mobiles that they insist you get the drivers from the laptop manufacturer, but who really wants Dell branded drivers that are 8 revisions old?

Also, Omega tends to "mix 'n' match" if ATI really goofs up an OpenGL or DirectX update, he'll include the older, stabler version.

Last but not least, he adds support for custom resolutions, and tweaks all the hidden registry settings so you don't have to.

Also includes a bunch of good utilities, and installs all the ATI components at once, in an integrated install.

I use 'em exclusively.

Gpar_
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

So Gurm, did you install them over an existing catalyst driver or a fresh install ????

I heard you can just uninstall the Control Pannel and then load the Omega driver over the existing ATI Catalyst.

Just curious because my 9800 NP will be delivered tomorrow and I have been wading through the "ClusterFlock" of experiences at Hard forums and the rage3D forums.

I already used "Driver Clean" to get rid of the ATI Drivers that XP comes with.
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Ahrm.

I'd never install ATI drivers over other ATI drivers without a thorough uninstall first.

Gpar_
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Personally i don't like Omega Drivers and advise against using them. As Gurm mentioned they are a mix of everything ... and it shows. I don't like the bloat either.

Original ATI CAT & RadClocker = I'm a happy man.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Whether you use the latest Cat´s (3.6) or the latest Omega´s beware there is something broken in the OGL driver. I´ve asked Omega about this, he confirms it and says Ati is working on it.
              Just replace the atioglxx.dll with version 3803 (from Cat 3.5) in your system32 folder and everything runs fine.

rubank

Comment

I've been so spoiled by Matrox.

"ClusterFlock" here I come.......

This ought o be more fun than a barrel of Hpars......
                MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Original ATI CAT & RadClocker = I'm a happy man.
                  same here

Comment

Actually, as evidenced by the fact that he ISN'T using the 3.5 OGL files, the last few Omegas have JUST been tweaks and extra modes.

Gpar_

Comment

Cool, so I'll go w/ 3.6 cats on my new card w/ the one 3.5 file.

I have a G2mx running in my box right now...can i just uninstall the drivers and pop my new card in or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        Actually, as evidenced by the fact that he ISN'T using the 3.5 OGL files, the last few Omegas have JUST been tweaks and extra modes.

Gpar_
                        The latest Omega drivers use the Cat 3.6 files and OGL has issues. That´s why I said to change the atioglxx.dll to the 3.5 version.

I´ve used this OGL file since 3.5 came out in conjunction with Cat 3.4 since my computer didn´t like the rest of the 3.5 (they f*ucked up the install inf) and this OGL driver was notably faster than the 3.4.

It´s working great with the current Omega drivers (Cat 3.6).

Kooldino:
                        at Driverheaven.net you can d/l their DriverCleaner which is said to remove all remnants of earlier drivers (Ati or nvidia). Always best to get a clean start, eh?

rubank
                        Last edited by rubank; 29 July 2003, 01:06.

Comment

Does anyone have a Link where we can get - atioglxx.dll with version 3803 (from Cat 3.5) ????

I don't want to install 3.5 just to get the file .....being lazy

Comment

Err... don't install it, just download it. It's just zipped after all.

Or download the Omega 3.5's.

Shame Cyborg isn't on the job any more, O/P's were the best.

Gpar_

Comment

Ok, I have the 9800 np installed and running...."?" "?"

I used the Cat 3.6 and Radclocker.

I had some strange things happen after installing the card.

I ran 3DMark2003 just to see how fast and stable things were and my whole system shut down hard. It would not power up until I reseated the card.

Now the only issue I know or see right now is that UT won't run for more than a couple minutes in D3D before kicking me out to the desktop.

UT works OK in oGL after replacing the UT oGL with the UTgl2.3 file from here:

On the Non Pro Sapphire 9800 the GPU speed is 324MHz and the Memory is 289Mhz. Using Radclocker I have it running "fairly" stable at GPU= 403 and Memory= 327. I 'll try higher setting tonight.

Any suggestions for the D3D issue in UT?????

So, compared to the Parhelia it is faster but that's about it. Close on visual quality but it's not Matrox quality.

And did I say "Buggy"..... ROFL!!!!!

How long has the Radeon Line been around now.....LOL

Fast and Buggy isn't always better than slower and stable .....

I need a new challenge and it looks like I'll have my hands full for awhile.

Arrrrr !!

Comment

Working...
                              X