Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABIT mainboard with SecureIDE

SecureIDE?

For MAX3, the ABIT Engineers listened to users who were asking for information security. SecureIDE connects to your IDE hard disk and has a special decoder; without a special key, your hard disk cannot be opened by anyone. Thus hackers and would be information thieves cannot access your hard disk, even if they remove it from your PC. Protect your privacy and keep anyone from snooping into your information. Lock down your hard disk, not with a password, but with encryption. A password can be cracked by software in a few hours. ABIT's SecureIDE will keep government supercomputers busy for weeks and will keep the RIAA away from your Kazaa files.
    http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs...CNO=en_0307251

You have to give 'em points for creativity, but I wonder how long this will last in the face of a Federal demand that a back door access be fit on each one?

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 July 2003, 00:05.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

In this country the owner would have to supply the key I believe. If he/she doesn't it's off to jail even if you forget it.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, if the implemention is smart, Mayby
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I doubt a federal government order matters much to a company based in Taiwan.

Gpar_
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          I doubt a federal government order matters much to a company based in Taiwan.

Gpar_
          Okay withdraw a few warships and let china do a bit of heavy breathing.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Overclockers has an interesting article on just that. http://www.overclockers.com/articles782/
            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Yeah SecureIDE will be fun if you lock yourself out from accessing your HDD when the mobo brakes ...
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Well, thop has a point
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I guess that's one way for ABIT to assure customer "loyalty"

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

yeah they can 'recover' the data from your secured HDD for only 1000 USD a gigabyte

Comment

LOL.

Think the encryption would slow things down any?

Comment

If it's really all done in hardware? No.

Will it all be done in hardware? HAHAHAHA... no.

So will it slow you down? Yes.

Gpar_
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

The only way that SecureIDE would keep the RIAA out is if they remove your hard drive from your abit board and then try to read the contents of it. Its all a gimmick.
                          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Even if it was all done in hardware, it would slow down things, albeit probably just by a few ns.

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                            X