Millennium P-750 does not wake up from S3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millennium P-750 does not wake up from S3

I used to be able to let my computer go to sleep (S3) with my G400 DH. Now with my new P-750 all I get is a black screen when I hit the "wake" button on my keyboard. I have to force a reset in the middle of a Windows session.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

Windows XP Sp1
    Matrox P Driver 1.4.1.3
    P-750 Bios 1.1-6

Fred

Just asking, did you reinstall between P750 and G400 or just removed G powerdesk and installed P powerdesk?

I have pretty fux0red Windows install ATM (had a repair install about 2 weeks ago).

Comment

The manual said: "just remove your old card" so that what I did, I did not remove any old driver before plugging the P750 in.
      How should I go back to remove G Powerdesk? Will the Matrox uninstall work even without a G400 installed?
      Thanks,

Fred

Comment

S3 Power State

my parhelia doesn't like S3 either...the S3 power state is unspecified, according to windows. to see what i'm talking about, try this...

right mouse on "my computer" >> properties >> the advanced tab >> click on "enviroment variables" >> click "new" >> fill in the variable name with "DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS"(no quotes), then set the variable value to "1". OK your way back to the desktop. Now goto device manager and expand your display adapter device class tree and then double click on your display adapter. See the "Details" tab??? Goto it and pull down the list box, at the bottom is "Power State Mappings". Mine is unspecified no matter what I try.

As best as I can figure it something is not set right but I can't for the life of me figure it out...I gave up! I can still use DPMS so it is no biggie.

good luck

cc

Comment

OK, go to Matrox support drivers section.

Utilities

Download Powerdesk uninstall (for both P and G cards).

Remove Powerdesk for G series.

Reboot

Remove Powerdesk for P series

Reboot

Go to WINNT\System32 and delete pdesk folder.

Reinstall Powerdesk for P series (1.4.13 is the lattest).

This should help.

If not, give it a Windows reinstall (IMO) Turn to tech support for help, as they should know what residue does Powerdesk leave before doing that (if reinstall is trouble for you).

BTW, I removed powerdesk for G series rebooted and I'm still having trouble with Video (BS Player reporting HW overlay failure) and eDualhead - still complaining about not seing Matrox dualhead capable videocard.

But I'm on temp install that I did to get me up and running after I replaced HDD and I had some problems two weeks ago because of which I did a repair install, so my Windows installation is flaky.

I will reinstall Windows, however, I'll replace Case, PSU, Motherboard, CPU and RAM within a month at most, so I find it rather pointless now.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 July 2003, 18:10.

Comment

Chucky Cheese,

I tried what you said and here what I get:

S0 ->D0
            S1 ->unspecified
            S2 ->unspecified
            S3 ->D3
            S4 ->D3
            S5 ->D3

I don't know what that means though...

Thanks for your help.
            I am going to try the driver cleanup and reinstall now, I am not ready to reinstall XP

Fred

Comment

S3 ???

Fred,

I believe S3 is STR(..Suspend to Ram). Basically everything in ram is written to disk so you need space on the disk equal to your memory size. When the macine is "woke-up" everything is written back to memory.

maybe someone else in this forum that is more knowledgeable than I can shed more light on the subject...like what do these mappings mean to windows, and how to set this up so it works.

I have an ACPI kernel loaded and an ACPI compliant mother board.

cc

Comment

In my case I don't use hibernate, the system goes into Standby mode (option in BIOS to use S3). RAM stays powered, but disks, fans, etc... are all powered off. Whne I wake the PC up it does not reload anything from disk like it would from Hibernate. It's very fast and convenient.
                I have 1 GB of RAM and want to avoid Hibernate if possible. Takes too long to read and wite 1 GB to disk.

I'll try a fresh Windows install in another partition to see what happens.

Fred

Comment

Working...
                X