I want this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want this!

I know similar things have been posted before but it's still cool to read about. The possibilities are endless...

Imagine your kitchen blender conks out the day you’re hosting a large cocktail party. You search an online catalog, decide on a model, and click the “buy” button. But instead of waiting three days for the appliance to be shipped to your door, a new kind of printer on your desk springs into action. Layer by layer, the miraculous machine squirts out various materials to form the chassis, the electronics, the motors – literally building the blender for you from the bottom up in a matter of hours.

Smalltimes.Com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Computer : Tea, Earl Gray, Hot

it may happen still.. they have 3D "printers" that work for simple plastic parts for prototype use.. I guess eventually they will expand on that, but it will be a while
    e.g.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Yep, late for work, beam me up Scotty.

Comment

Remember when this was posted here origianly
        that was a while ago
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Imagine what the warez people will do when this hits the market.

Free stuff...
          <font size="-4">User error:
          Replace user and try again.
          System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
          System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
          </font>

Comment

Originally posted by Zao
            Imagine what the warez people will do when this hits the market.

Free stuff...
            ROFL!

Comment

I am sure the "Ink" for these printers would make it prohibitly expensive to use .. just look at the price for regular printer supplies

Comment

then use Pirate ink, insanely cheap, but kills your printer :P

or used to kill printers, there have been less "printers killed by parate ink" this year
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You’d no longer pay for a product, Canny says, you’d pay for plans. I look forward then to a generation of do-it-yourself industrial designers, tinkerers who tweak commercial product designs to improve and customize them. How will I access the fruits of their labor? Peer-to-peer plan networks, of course, where designs for blenders and mobile phones and TV remote controls are swapped like so many MP3s.
                  hmm

Comment

computer: Human female, 5'6", blonde.... hot

scary isnt it
                    Intel Pentium 4 2.53Ghz@2.63Ghz | Intel "Blue Mountain" D845PEBT2 (845PE) |1GB Mushkin PC2700 2-2-2 |ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro |Matrox G450 PCI 32MB | (2) WD360GD Raptor SATA (36GB, 10,000rpm) | (2) WD1200JB (120GB, 7200rpm) | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 | Plextor 40x12x40x CD-RW | Toshiba 16x DVD | Cooler Master ATC-710GX2 | Zalman ZM400A-APF 400w PSU | Zalman CNPS7000-CU HSF | Cambridge Soundworks Microworks | Silicon Graphics USB Keyboard | Logitech MX700 Wireless Mouse | Samsung SyncMaster 191T | Samsung SyncMaster 172W | Windows XP Professional SP1

Comment

Sounds like an order to real doll

Comment

Originally posted by cochese

scary isnt it
                        Sounds messy to me, putting it together, that is...

Jeff
                        -We stop learning when We die, and some
                        people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                        Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                        - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                        - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Would one of those I could invent plastic engines! Good for 100 miles then it just starts to melt!
                          Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by cochese

scary isnt it
                            Don't laugh too hard. Printer technology or variants thereof are being used in whole new methods of tissue engineering;

Growing bones: http://www.cmu.edu/magazine/02summer/bonegrowing.html

Building tissues: http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993292

Anyone remember that scene in Fifth Element where Leelu was re-created? Nice effect but unrealistic then; not so unrealistic now.

A sideshot of this is that they're already talking about growing meat cell cultures so you could "print" a steak that never was part of a living animal.

Dunno how the vegans & PETA will handle that prospect

OTOH this could also lead to a form of food generation for long term space flights that wouldn't require hydroponics. Cell cultures are a lot easier to maintain.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 July 2003, 14:34.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

MMm, printing meat.

PETA would still bitch about eating meat...they'd just have to invent another reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X