XP: right click folder -> sound dissapears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP: right click folder -> sound dissapears

I'm habving a rather strange problem. Whenever i right click on a folder/file (to bring up the context menu) after about 2-3 seconds ALL sounds on my system stop to play! Doesn't matter if its an mp3,avi,mpg whatever ... also happens with all aplications!

Looks like it might be a driver issue, however why should the sound stop when i right click a folder! Strangest thing in the world.
    Last edited by thop; 26 July 2003, 09:39.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

How long does it stop? Until you reboot? Until the context menu is closed? Does the "player" continue playing, but without any sound?

Comment

Check if there's everything ok with hdd (smart, anything).
      And in which mode it operates.

Comment

It stops while the context menu is being shown (there is a short delay of ~2 seconds until the sound stops). When the context menu is closed i can hear sound again.
        Yep the player continues playing as if nothing happened. But all sounds are cut off.

Shouldn't be HDD because it also happens on folders/files that are on a network share.

Comment

What players are you using?

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't bet on it now too since you can hear sound again. (and the player is playing etc.)

But the thing that it happens also to files not stored on hdd didn't mean much while I had similar problem (but clearly related to hdd).
            System wouldn't play anything, not just the things on hdd.

Comment

ZoomPlayer, Winamp2, WinDVD .. doesnt matter which one the sound stops with all of them. They all are playing fine, just that the master sound of windows is somehow cut off.

Comment

Strange...

Comment

So does the sound stop or is it for some reason cutted of?
                  Last edited by Nowhere; 26 July 2003, 11:10.

Comment

remember the little bug (feature?) in xp that takes the cpu to 100% if you right click menu without selecting it (left click) first.
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Sasq you are right! I just checked and indeed it takes 100% CPU. Not sure why that should interefere with the sound but it does.

Is there a fix for that?

Comment

last I checked M$ waffled something about the fix affecting to much of the kernel. short way is to left click everything first.

Dan
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

i deactivated the effects and that did it. they have no real use anyway.

thanks sasq for pointing in the right direction!
                          Last edited by thop; 26 July 2003, 11:16.

Comment

Working...
                          X