P750 64MB, what do I give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P750 64MB, what do I give up?

With P750 triple head what do I lose by getting 64MB vs 128MB OEM versions?

I'm not a gamer. Photoshop, general computing on two 1600x1200 displays and TV out for video editing is what I need.

I'd like a little headroom for >1600x1200 display as one of my CRT monitors has shown some signs of iminent HV failure and I'd go with one that could do a bit higher as its replacement.

--wally.

I'm running 1600x1200 on primary and 1152x864 on secondary.

I'm seeing no problems. the extra memory is really only for textures etc for 3D work (and if your doing a lot of 3D the P750 probably isn't for you).

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I'm not doing any 3D. What resolutions are supported above 1600x1200 with 64MB?

I don't expect any problems as 1600x1200 on two monitors is fine with my 32MB G450, but then I've been dissapointed by lots of computer stuff lately.

Fry's has a 3GHz P4 800 FSB and Intel brand 865 motherboard for $490 in the paper today, so I've started thinking about upgrading the old dual PIII-500 box since it seems one of its hard drives is heading south this morning :-(

--wally.

Comment

Not that my monitors will let me go that far, but Display properties lets me slid both up to 2048x1536.

To lazy to go double check the spec sheet right now. *note that's in DH mode, you won't get those resolutions in TH

As for upgrades, I never have to justify an upgrade to myself, justifying it to the wife on the other hand..

If its still kicking, image that drive/backup asap.

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

What the driver offers is what I wanted to know, not what some spec sheet, usually filled with lies of omisions and weasel words, says.

Thanks!

--wally.

Comment

My display options also allow up to 2048x1536 in a single display. All that's needed is a monitor capable of it.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 July 2003, 12:31.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Wally,

I just got my P-750 in the mail today. Get one, you won't be disappointed. The TV-Out is excellent, and that's from someone who had a DH G400 which was supposed to blow away the GeForce and ATI competition. Its so crisp.

Quality on my old Hitachi 19" is perfect too, but that's not too hard at 1280x1024@85Hz. Time for a flat screen upgrade...

I took advantage of Matrox' special e-mail offer to existing customers, $40 off on a 750 -> $195 and free shipping. Ordered Tuesday and it came in Saturday morning. Not bad.

Max res from Display Properties shows 2048x1536 for both first and second monitor (right now a TV).

Fred

Comment

Wally,

I just picked up a new second 19" monitor to add to my existing one and TV connected to the 750. To rectify what was previously written here, the max resolution on those 2 CRTs now dropped to 1600x1200. I guess to support 3 displays they have to drop down to that.
                It does not matter to me, I like 1280x1024 better anyways. But I know you want more, so be warned!

Fred

Comment

Fred,

Go into advanced settings for each monitor and untick on the monitor tab "hide modes that this monitor can't display' and check again.

Dan
                  Juu nin to iro

Comment

Yes fred, please do this and let ne know what the options are!

I have many old monitors that don't have proper ini files so I do this all the time in order to run them at their limits instead of the limits of the generic monitor settings.

IMHO 1600x1200 is probably about tops for a 19" CRT its not unreasonable for the "official" resolutions to stop there.

--wally.

Comment

Wally, simply put, if I allow the drivers to 'hide modes' I loose the higher resolutions. (I did double check before I posted above)
                      Uncheck the box, and I have the full range.

Dan
                      Juu nin to iro

Comment

Hmm, something is not right here, I can't get the resolutions to go past 1600x1200. I unchecked the box to "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" but it made no difference.
                        My Powerdesk mode is "Two displays, independent mode + 1 feature display"
                        I may need to update the monitor drivers. My new Viewsonic shows as "Plug and Play Monitor" (Display 1) and my older Hitachi as "Default Monitor". It looks like XP can't detect a monitor on the second DVI port of the P750. My Hitachi 751 used to be detected and recognized on the main port, as well as my G400.

Fred

Comment

Updated drivers for both monitors, still the same max resolution of 1600x1200.

Dan, do you also use 2 CRTs + TV-Out?

Fred

Comment

I don't currently have feature enabled. I'll give it a spin tomorrow when I'm awake.

currently 2 CRT's. worth noteing there is no inf file for my 21" monitor as its a patched in Sun 21".
                            Juu nin to iro

Comment

Working...
                            X