home lan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home lan

I have two computers at home, one with Win2k SP4 and another with WinXP pro.
    They are connected with a LinkSys 5 port 10/100mbits switch and the 100mbits ethernet cards, integrated in the mobos.

The Win2k is connected to the internet thru an USB ADSL modem (256/128) and is doing NAT to the WinXP machine with WinRoute 5. No DHCP is being used.
    The network is setup using a windows workgroup.

Now the question :

Would be any improvement by using a domain type network?
    if so, can you guide me step by step on how to do it? please

cheers, Ivan
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

no domain is only needed when you got many users. domain network basically means that there is one domain controller which handles all user authentification. also all user profiles are stored on that domain controller. so every user can login from/on every pc.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

You'd need to be running NT/2k server to have a domain. It's probably overkill for such a small home network.

Unless you just want to play with it to learn it. Like me, I have a little active directory domain at home.
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Yes, its fun, but it took me 3 days to get my network up and running....
        (next time i'll properly check to see if the mobo will fit in the case BEFORE i switch it all off and take it all apart... )

I haven't really seen all it can do, but being able to remotely control all the other pcs in the house, from my machine, is just gorgeous!
        I can now rebuild my P133 machine, cos i have a couple of free monitors and keyboards and mice...

The P133 DE LA MORT!!
        128Mb Cas 2 sdram, 100mbit LAN, Voodoo3 PCI and a VX-Pro chipset for mobo. for all those old games i still remember and love...
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

You don't need a domain to remotely manage your PCs. You can use VNC (WinVNC, TighVNC, etc).

Comment

Working...
          X