Self destuct DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self destuct DVDs

Interesting.... now can you make a legal copy of these for own use, before the destroy themselves?

http://www.theretailbulletin.com/ind...t=tech&id=2070

Disney to trial self-destruct DVDs
    Tuesday July 22 2003

Self destuct DVDs: Challenge to rental market

Cut price films challenge rental market

July 22 2003

Walt Disney is to take on the DVD rental market with the launch of cut-price DVDs which become unusable after about 48 hours.

The discs, called EZ-D, have been developed by US firm Flexplay Technologies. Sold in an airtight package, the discs react with the air once opened. The surface gradually changes colour to black, making the discs unreadable by DVD players after two days.

Disney's distrubution business Buena Vista Home Video will trial eight film titles in the format in the US later this year, with plans to expand if it proves successful. Priced at around £4, the disc will cost slightly more than a conventional DVD rental but will remove the need to return films, a constant headache for operators such as Blockbuster.

The developers also see a large potential market in sales to business travellers, who increasingly carry laptops which can play DVDs. The disposable discs could be sold through vending machines at railway stations and airports, as well as in hotels.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

You know what else will self-destruct? Their sales!
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

ROFL.

That's friggin' hilarious. It just screams out "COPY ME! COPY ME!"

Gpar_
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Anyone remember DI... ah, nevermind. :-)

Comment

Also just waiting for someone to tool up a N2 filled chamber with some sort of transparent-paint (hair-spray anyone?) spray gun inside that can "fix" them
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

They will be piles of junk dvds laying around now, like those damend aol trial cds.

Comment

Of all people to do this.. don't they know no one buys Disney movies for a one-time play? They are for junior to watch 200 times while mom and dad become strangers to him, and he becomes a zombified mouthpiece for the hollywood agenda.

Comment

And some of you guys give me a hard time about Japan being the consumer/everything is in its own wrapper society
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Dan, these are DVD's.

Movies.

NOT, I repeat NOT the soiled undergarments of schoolgirls.

Gpar_
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                    Anyone remember DI... ah, nevermind. :-)
                    Yes, I do remember Circuit City's DIVX. We can only hope Disney's idea meets a similar fate.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

sihg, I was refering to food actually. you buy a packet of cookies here, each one is lovingly wrapped in its own plastic/foil wrapper.

Japan has a problem with being a disposable nation. (ie cell phones are so cheap here that many younger people change them with the season and/or underwear)
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I hope this inane idea never reaches Sweden
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Talk about anal; idividually wrapped cookies??

Here in the US we save individual wrapping for something really important, like Kraft cheese slices

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

heh, It's like the 10 peices packs of CD-R whit the pack first wrapped and the ten disks wrapped togheter and lastly a wraping around the induvidual discs as well :P
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

next time I buy a bag of sweets I'll take a photo.

Doc, we even get our apples in protective foam wrapping.
                              Juu nin to iro

Comment

Working...
                              X