Lite on CDRW...UGH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lite on CDRW...UGH

I have a 48/24/48x Lite on CDRW. It's fairly new. Recently, when I started burning things w/ it, it would slow my machine down to a crawl.

As of tonight, when I insert blank media, the machine hard locks. I don't get it. It's the same media I've been using. Also, the CDRW is the only drive on the channel, and the controller it's on is a Promise Ultra100 TX2 controller.

I updated my mobo BIOS (a7n8x deluxe) to 1004.

I updated the BIOS on the controller card and the burner.

I updated the drivers on the controller card.

I cursed. A lot.

I used FrcASPI 117 or so to update all of that.

I changed my IDE ribbon.

I reseated the controller card.

I'm about to give up and set it on fire.

Any advice?
    Last edited by Kooldino; 23 July 2003, 12:13.

Oh, PS...device manager lists it as...
    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah. Swap it for a Memorex 52x24x52. Darned thing runs like a house afire on the Ultra133 with very little in the way of a system hit (Win2K SP2).

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: Lite on CDRW...UGH

Originally posted by Kooldino

I'm about to give up and set it on fire.

Any advice?

FIRE! FIRE! hehheh..hehhehheh

Last edited by KvHagedorn; 22 July 2003, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          Yeah. Swap it for a Memorex 52x24x52. Darned thing runs like a house afire on the Ultra133 with very little in the way of a system hit (Win2K SP2).

Dr. Mordrid
          Ok, so I put it on my mobo controller and it's not locking up now. My DVD rom that was on my secondary mobo IDE is disconnected. I'm gonna try to burn a CD.

Wait wait...Lite Ons have an issue w/ ata133 controllers? I think my on board is ata133, and it works fine on that.

Comment

I have both my Panasonic SW-9671 DVD-R/RW/RAM and the Memorex on an Ultra133, but both as masters on separate channels.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

So did you guys notice that my CDRW is listed as a SCSI drive even though it's an IDE?

Comment

Generally ATA or ATA RAID cards don't like ATAPI devices (CD-ROM, DVD ROM).

Yep. And I also saw you mentioning adincard.

BTW, SCSI opticals are teh win.

vvvvv

Comment

Ugh, this sucks. I reinstalled the drivers again, and now it's back on the Promise card, but I'm burning a CD as i type this, and the text takes about 3 seconds to catch up with me as i type. oh the humanity. Why did it enver do this bfore? mybe i should move my DVD rom to this, or try the CDRW in a diff channel on the card.

Comment

have u checked to see what mode ur burner is running at? ie PIO or DMA? I bet its runnin at PIO mode.

Edit: didnt' read the entire thread, I didn't see u already tried MB EIDE ports.

Okay, so next is I guess, can u set the controller card to a specific mode? How about letting the CD-RW go as cable select on the secondary channel of the promise card?
                    Last edited by mmp121; 22 July 2003, 21:05.
                    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

I'll try master of the 2nd channel for now...been meaning too, but I'm getting lazy now.

Yeah, it's always been in DMA mode 2 (ata 66, i think).

Comment

1. don't put it on the promise, those devices "Pretend" that they are SCSI to avoid some idiotisms in win, probably why win thought it was SCSI devices.
                        2. UDMA 2 is UDMA33 (DMA mode 2 is usualy a non ULTRA dma mode that is slightly faster than PIO4)
                        3. put it on the secondary mobo conector (either master/slave but not Cable select) make sure that UDMA is enabled in bios, check what the bios stats page says about dma (the one right before Win starts to load) and also check what setting Win XP reports
                        4. If the drive do not say that it suports higher than UDMA33 dont use a UDMA cable(80pin) use a normal 40 pin, also check the lenght of the cable, longer cables than 45cm will make the shit hit the fan
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Tech - right now I have the burner as the secondary master on the mobo IDE, and the DVD ROM as the primary master on the add in card. If i go to the Device Manager and try to see the "properties" fo the "scsi" DVD ROM, the box locks. So basically I can't set it to PIO mode from Windows. I'll try using an old school cable to see if that helps things.

Comment

the "modes" are not set there in XP
                            They are set in the "IDE/Atapi Controllers" in the primary or secondary controllers pages
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

It could just be the cable period. I've similar seemingly random problems happen until I replaced the cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X