<rant mode: on>OMG, no salvation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <rant mode: on>OMG, no salvation!

So, tired of some troubles with my soundcard (SB pci128) in winXP and finally blaming the platform (Via/AMD) I bought some new Intel stuff.
    ASUS P4P800 Deluxe and P4 2,6 should eliminate, I thought, all the hassle.

It didn´t. Now my soundproblems are even worse. The SB card still won´t record in stereo in winXP, and now listening to any wave file gives a lot of pops and cracks! In winXP, that is.
    In win98se everything is o.k. just as before.
    The same problem with pops and cracks happen if one listens to a CD record, unless one deactivates digital playback. Analog playback works.

Yes I did (had to do) a fresh install (oh, I really hate that) of winXP. (No need to reinstall win98se, just update the drivers and uninstall the Via stuff, love that).

The moral of the story is, the Intel platform isn´t inherently trouble free and superior to the ridiculed Via offering. Or so it would seem.

(As a sidenote: my voltage modded and overclocked Ati 9600pro won´t run with AGP8x, 4x works fine. Not that it really matters, but the fact in itself irritates me).

rubank

PS. Maybe I could throw in a Q: could there be any special running service in XP that causes these pops?

NOTHING is trouble free if you're using a Creative card.

Use the onboard sound?

Comment

I heard they're some problems with that motherboard so perhaps you're joining the lemon buyer league.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Intel had problems with AGP8x on their Granite Bay and 7505 chipsets due to a bad AGP implementation, so who knows what's leaking out of their labs these days?

Crackles, chirps and pops during playback are a sure sign of the PCI bus overloading.

As for the SB PCI-128 specifically; you need to call that one by its real name: AudioPCI. After Creative bought out Ensoniq they sold off the AudioPCI chipset inventory in the PCI-128 and PCI-64.

This was financially nice for Creative but not so great for the consumer as the AudioPCI's are PCI bus hogs of the first order. Those with the 1370 chips were a bit better than the 1371's, but neither were that good.

This behavior would certainly be at its worst on a VIA based system because those chipsets only have about 2/3 the available PCI bandwidth of Intels and the SiS and AMD chipped Athlon systems, but moving to one of these better platforms isn't necessarily a cure.

You may well have had better results under Win9x using VXD drivers, which is what those cards were designed for. Running old hardware like this in newer OS's is another matter.

Yes, I had a PCI-128. No, I didn't use it any longer than to confirm I'd been screwed and return it.

IIRC Matrox even put a notice in their Marvel G400 capture driver release notes that AudioPCI based cards were not compatable because of their high bus utilization.

Some old tips for optimizing these slugs follow, but I don't know if they'll work in 2K/XP;

1. Disable any "Legacy devices", "DOS compatible modes", or "Soundblaster 16 Compatibility" modes.

2. Disable any "Virtual Audio Device"

3. Under the Properties for the AudioPCI entry, there is a "Legacy mode" checkbox that must be disabled.

4. Also under the Properties for the AudioPCI entry, uncheck any checkbox that "locks" a waveset of any kind.

5. You may also have to un-mute your microphone to record audio.

Good luck.....

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 July 2003, 13:11.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've been telling people "buy SiS" for like a year or more now, rubank.

Gurm_
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Yup, the AudioPCI did do nice AD conversions for its day. Problem is getting the sound out to the speakers :-P

Recommendation: my usual of a Santa Cruz, GameTheater XP etc. etc. Basically those mid to upper market cards with the Cirrus Logic/Crystal DSP's.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Unless you like playing games from Bioware.

Gurm_
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Creative cards on newer Intel chipsets just don't seem to like sharing IRQ. Had my share of problems with my Live 5.1, though now that it has its very own IRQ not sharing with anything else, everything seems to be fine (even in ACPI mode).

That doesn't mean I'm not thinking at getting it replaced with an Audigy 2 or other card when I'll have the resources.

Comment

Yeah but the PCI128 isn't REALLY a Creative card, it's based on an Ensoniq reference design.

Gurm_

Comment

the ES1370 chips were definitely better than the 1371 or 1373 chips. I had no problems with my AudioPCI, but they had severe routing problems in win98se in certain configs.
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      Yeah but the PCI128 isn't REALLY a Creative card, it's based on an Ensoniq reference design.

Gurm_
                      You know that. I know that. The average consumer sees the Creative name on the box and doesn't know that you could buy virtually the same reference design at an OEM dealer for $20.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thank´s guys. I´ve already tried a lengthy answer but took too much time writing it and when submitting was kicked out. *sigh*

Let me just say, I´ll retire the PCI128 and go with the onborad AD SoundMax. It´s actually reasonably clean and quiet and it works.
                        It´s just "line in" and "line out" for me, and inbetween processing and mixing in s/w like WaveLab or SoundForge and subsequent CD burning, the heavy CPU overhead is no major worry. All other essential h/w is external.

Eventually I´ll have to shell out the cash for more professional equipment.

rubank

ps. The P4P800Deluxe is really a nice piece, I´m not sure the AGP8x thing is a shortcoming of the m/b, and it´s hardly a vital feature.

Comment

If you're running it on a LAN, it might as well be the cheap 3com PCI Gigabit Ethernet card causing you the trouble (that's why Intel came up with the CSA port to not saturate the PCI bus).

Try setting it to 100MBps instead of auto (even if you're not on a LAN -you never know...).

Comment

Working...
                          X