Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Marvel deinterlace when recording at 352*288 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Marvel deinterlace when recording at 352*288 ?

Hello,
    I am wondering if the Matrox Marvel G200 does
    deinterlace when one records using the 352*288 resolution ? Or does it just skip all the odd (or the even) frames ?
    It would be nive of the Matrox was grabbing all the 576 lines, then do a nice averaging to obtain the 288 lines result

No, it doesn't. This isn't too unusual as most editing programs also just drop a field when delacing. There is a nice tool for doing this however. It's called FilmRender. It has a configurable delace module that can average up to 4 frames to smooth out the process.

http://www.nurkware.com

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Right, except that you really do not want de-interlacing by averaging even/odd fields when you have a video source. Unless you like really blurry videos, of course.

M.

---second thought--- hmmm, now that I started to think about this, yes, sometimes it may be useful for video sourve as well, as the result will be a realistic "1/25 s shutter" motion blur against the "1/50 s shutter" blur you get by leaving out hald of the fields. Seems I have been concentrating too much on quality of still frames recently. Sorry.

M.

[This message has been edited by Meek (edited 27 October 2000).]
      year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

At any rate FilmRenders "averaging" isn't just a straight averaging of whatever number of frames you select. It can be weighted. Its main purpose is to smooth out motion artifacts caused by delacing known as "combing". I'm sure anyone who has used the Xing MPEG-1 encoder with laced clips knows what I'm talking about

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I am not as sure as Doc that the Marvel does not deinterlace when capturing at 352x288. When I capture at that res, I can see the same artefacts on text that I see at higher res (Parts of the letters are missing, the horizontal strokes have reduced intensity as compared to vertical strokes, ...). Or, maybe, the Marvel takes the average of the two fields? The quality of the picture is definitely lower than what you get when only one field is captured without any further processing.
          Michka
          I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
          If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Working...
          X