Chipset Fan?? Needed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipset Fan?? Needed??

Is the chipset fan really needed it is just mine is really starting to annoy me.

It's the smallest damn fan in the case but it just started to vibrate and nothing will seem to stop it.

Anyway, spec below, I do have an extra 10cm fan in the back of my case just above the processor and I don't overclock, can I just rip it out without any major concern?

You might actually need it, I too got annoyed with mine and unplugged it. At first it worked ok, but after a while during some gaming it overheated and caused a system crash. I replaced it with a Zalman NB cooler and it's worked fine ever since.

Comment

I'd rip it out and replace it with a nice big passive HS (zalman?). Just unplugging it will probably hinder airflow too much, giving you heat problems.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You have a Gigabyte board. I and many others have had problems with the NB fan on these boards. It is a problem and the NB DOES need good cooling, or you get all sorts of crashes, lockups, etc. you find hard to trace.

This subject has come up a number of times on MURC and a number of other boards I'm on.

Passive cooling does not seem to be enough for GA mobos. The Titan TTC CUV2AB is my solution for the NB and the Parhelia.

For descriptions and photos, go here.
        How can you possibly take anything seriously?
        Who cares?

Comment

Get the Zalman NB hs. I found it for about £5 delivered (I'll dig the details out if you want). It is tall so can block long expansion cards depending on mobo. I have one on both NB & SB of my Epox 8RDA+. It comes with paste & pins and thermal glue.

HTH

T.
          FT.

Comment

I was going to go for the Zalman originally, but my man in the local OC shop studied it for a while and said better not. For some reason the NB on GA boards gets really hot and needs active cooling. The Zalman couldn't be pinned normally in the GA NB set up and the thermal glue, though it sticks alright, doesn't conduct heat as well as the paste.

Therefore the CUV2AB which does the job well and isn't noisy.
            How can you possibly take anything seriously?
            Who cares?

Comment

Cheers mutz

European vendors doesn't worry me.

Comment

Working...
              X