X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Problem with Enermax power supply

350W, new
    P4 motherboard
    As soon as I conncet the power to a Seagate SCSI disk, it won't boot. Seems the power is automatically shut down although the board power LED is on.
    I connected the disk with power from another computer and all the rest disks with the new computer, everything is then OK. Does anyone know the solution?

New power supply???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

silly question really but did you also connect the additional P4 m/board 12V connector?
      if you don't you board is unlikely to startup!

Comment

Your PSU might not be enough for your rig.

SCSI HDD might push it over limit.

Try and borrow 400W or stronger PSU if you can.

For rig bellow a step from 200W Codegen to 300W Macase was neccessary when I went from 128MB PC100 to 512MB of PC133CAS2 in order to pass Memtest86.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 20 July 2003, 14:30.

Comment

Re: Help! Problem with Enermax power supply

Originally posted by chaoliang
          350W, new
          P4 motherboard
          As soon as I conncet the power to a Seagate SCSI disk, it won't boot. Seems the power is automatically shut down although the board power LED is on.
          I connected the disk with power from another computer and all the rest disks with the new computer, everything is then OK. Does anyone know the solution?
          1/ is that a generic PSU?
          2/ is the AGP card seated properly?
          3/ is the AGP card compliant with your mobo's AGP version?

Comment

Hello People,

sorry for delayed answers. I was not here at the weekend and the computer has not worked till today.
            As far as I can prove, the problem came from a floppy disk (!). I never thought that it could consume so much power that the whole system crashes. So I tried unplugging all the other devices without thinking about this small thing.
            Now I put another floppy disk into the case and everything works fine (three SCSI disks and two cd drives). 400W above could have been better but I really don't like so much heat.
            The system was:
            Enermax 350W
            P4 2.4C
            Asus P4C800-E Delux
            Corsair 1 GB DDR 400 2-3-2

I'm still waiting for P650. It should come till Monday.

Thanks all for your tips!

Comment

It could have been shorting something.
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by chaoliang
                Hello People,

400W above could have been better but I really don't like so much heat.
                Um...
                Your system draws the same wattage regardless of what size PS you use.

In fact, drawing the same wattage from a higher rated PS would likely produce less heat than if you draw on a lower rated, similarly designed power supply. Power supplies become increasingly less efficient (and generate more waste heat per watt produced) as they get loaded closer to their maximum limit.

CEM
                System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Working...
                X