Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple gets grilled about "first 64bit desktop computer"

Found on hardocp.com

Digital Video Editing Compare and Analyze Digital Video Editing Platforms And Tools VIEW PRESENTATION​ READ OUR DETAILED REVIEW Adobe Premiere Pro Review Adobe Premiere Pro Review I have a complete Adobe Premiere Pro review where I analyze all the features of this product. We discuss if Premiere Pro supports MKV files and how to handle ... Read more

DVE: Now, you're saying it's the first 64-bit desktop machine. But isn't there an Opteron dual-processor machine? It shipped on June 4th. BOXX Technologies shipped it. It has an Opteron 244 in it.

Rubinstein: Uh...

Akrout: It's not a desktop.

DVE: That's a desktop unit.

Akrout: It depends on what you call a desktop, now. These… From a full desktop per se, this is the first one. I don't know how you really distinguish the other one as a desktop.

DVE: Well, it's a dual processor desktop machine, just like that one.

Akrout: It's not 64, then.

DVE: Yes, it's a 64-bit machine with two Opteron chips in it. It started shipping June 4th.

Akrout: That we'll double check, but in my mind, it wasn't.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Ooops. Thats what happens when just listen to your marketing department.
    Rest of the interview isn't to bad but he didn't seem to know what has happening to the G4.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well if the Opteron boxes count as desktop machines, then so do the IA64 machines that have been shipping (in small numbers, but still) for well over a year.

Perhaps they should have said "first 64-bit personal computer", but this is all really just picking nits.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Not to mention the Sun Sparc machines.. have been 64 bit for a while.. call them workstations if you will, they are starting in the same price range
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I wouldn't consider a SPARC a desktop machine. It's a workstation.

Comment

I dunno about that man. I've used some slow Ultras in my time. They can really take the "work" out of "workstation."
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

At university they still have some very old UltraSPARCs... they are SLOW! (well... they are very old tho)

Comment

But they're "Ultra" how could they possibly be slow(laris)?

Comment

Well, almost all the 64 bit machines sold today have been sold as worktations, not personal computers.

That said, there was a 64 bit alpha with 150 MHz being sold here in like 1996 as a desktop machine, togeter with their FX!32 software to make ordinary windows run on it. It costs 10000 DM, if I remember correctly.

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X