Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharper LCD displays: new technology licensed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharper LCD displays: new technology licensed...

ClairVoyante ( http://www.pentile.com/ )has developped an alternative pixel-layout for LCD displays, called Pentile. It encompasses both a new subpixel mapping and a new subpixel layout. Here is an explanation:

The technology has been licensed to 7 manufacturers; Samsung has the first license for mass-production.
    ClairVoyante Laboratories heeft een nieuwe technologie ontwikkelt die ervoor zorgt dat LCD-schermen nog scherpere afbeeldingen kunnen tonen. De technologie genaamd PenTile Matrix maakt gebruik van een andere indeling van de subpixels in een LCD scherm.

(sorry, in Dutch)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Awesome. I'd also like to be the first to point out that "pentile" is suprisingly similar to "penile".

Comment

The MORE important question - response time?

Gurm_
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Response time would presumably be the same? I mean, only the LAYOUT of the pixels has changed...
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I want a 18 inch or 19 inch LCD with 16 ms response time. Stamps feet in frustration and bottom lip sticks out. Come on guys it's about time.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

...for 100 quid too.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
              ...for 100 quid too.
              If they were a 100 quid I'd go for the 24 inch wide screen one selling at 200.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Comment

"four time the resolution with only a minor increase in cost" - this is crap. You'd need have twice as many row divers, twice as many subpixels and transistors. I can only see their low-cost solution taking off, but even that doesn't look very good. Big (=noticable) subpixels, harder toimplement (if at all) subpixel glyph antialiasing (ClearType)... But I agree that the current RGB stripes are not the optimal solution.

What we really need is MUCH higher real (not subpixel) resolution, and full color pixels (no need for subpixels).

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X