Screen sizes and my move from Matrox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen sizes and my move from Matrox

Well I finally did it. Last night I levered my ageing G400max from its AGP slot and in went the shiny Ati 9700. I held out for years for a replacement from Matrox but maybe in a year or two. Anyway, all went swimmingly (I did a quick benchmark before I took it out and got 30fps at 1024*768 in q3 - 153 fps after - must be limited by CPU as it was 153 for all resolutions) until...

I tried to change the main monitor to my fave resolution of 1152*864. The actual size stays the same as 1024*768 but the remaining parts drop off the right and bottom of the screen so no taskbar.. gah. I was going to go to an ATI forum but wonder if any of you guys can guess whats wrong. Does the same in 98 and XP. Prefer this forum as people are a bit more grown up here...

Is this a job for display mate?
    hmmmmm

Euhm... Adjust the screen size with the monitor controls? Adjust the size w/ ATi control panel? Think they have size/position adjustments...
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Edit: They HAVE screen adjustments. Display Settings > Advanced > Display > Monitor > Adjustments.
      Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

If Omega didn't fix it, post pics.

Comment

This happens to me once in a while when the drivers are convinced that my display only goes up to a certain size... or when picking an unsupported resolution.

Gurm_
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

The G400 had no problem in recognising my max resolution...

ok tried the adjustments but it only moves the image around the screen the resolution looks like 1024*768 still

any more ideas?

the image is 148kb (sorry about that) and shows both screens -the left is at 800*600 and the other... the black line is what is shown on the screen. when i try to adjust the screen size with the ati control panel i get a black border around the rectangle but see no more actual image.

Its a 17" ADI 5p+ with the driver I have always used. As I mentioned - same deal in win 98
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bibble; 18 July 2003, 11:27.
            hmmmmm

Comment

I regret to say that I too have the Adi Microscan 5 (which I'm going to beat the crap out of with the Keytronic keyboard that I also happen to have).

It can go to 1280x1024@60

Are you using proper drivers (google or pm me, I might still have them).

Comment

nope no luck - i seem to have the latest driver for what its worth... this is annoying - am trying out powerstrip to see if that gets anywhere but no joy
                hmmmmm

Comment

ok this is annoying now - so i set the monitor to 1152*864 and get a screen of 1024*768 which when i get to the edge of the screen scrolls!!!! aargghhh
                  hmmmmm

Comment

Oh, that's better. Sounds like somehow the Matrox drivers (probably) turned on virtual desktops. I don't know much about it myself, but people here do. That was an important piece of info.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmmm - i did an unistall using the matrox utility. is that not enough?
                      hmmmmm

Comment

ok ok I admit it I am trying to install a major component and not have to redo a year old windows installation - silly me... do you reckon thats whats needed?
                        hmmmmm

Comment

Sounds like the monitor profile may be to blame: http://www.omegacorner.com/ati_help.htm

look for "virtual"
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

nope - gets rid of the virtual so now i dont scroll but the screen is still to big.... could i edit the inf file to add the resolution??
                            hmmmmm

Comment

just tried making monitor plug and pray and i get the same deal - aaarrgghh
                              hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X