X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor/Videocards questions:

Here's the deal:

Right now I have:
    Compaq V700 17" driven by G400 and Adi Microscan 5 17" driven by Millennium.

The Adi is half dead and is good only for mIRC, e-mail, IM...

What I want is 2 equal monitors, preferably new 19's.

Here are options:
    A Get 2 new Samsung 17"s for 300€

B Get 2 used 19's (Compaq S900 - 1600x1200@75max) for 255€

C Get 2 new Mitsubishi 930SBs for 935€

Right now I have about 900€, and I could come up with 600€ till end of month.

Now 2nd and 3d option would require better videocard: possibilities are Matrox G450PCI or Matrox Parhelia.

Pro's, con's:
    A - I want bigger than 17" and I don't want to spend money on something, I don't like

B - used, I really want new monitors

C - If I go this way, I won't be able to upgrade the rig untill December. However if i get new rig (tricked out MPX), I'll be stuck with 1 good and one half dead 17" 'till December.

Now rig is a thing that can be upgraded gradually (Case, PSU + cheapo mobo and CPU (K7S5A + 1700+, SDR RAM/next month Tyan tiger, ECC DDR or Canterwood + P4 and DDR....)

While monitors can't be upgraded step by step.

Which videocard do I get (after I finish rig, I'll add 3d 19" if I go Parhelia).

Is it worth to get G450 PCI now and something better AGP latter?

Or Parhelia straight away? (It's a 2D/light 3D workstation, game once per month box).

Would Parhelia work in bellow rig for a while? (I have quality 300W PSU).
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 17 July 2003, 11:48.

For what I do, 2 19"s would yield more to productivity, than faster rig.

Comment

Not been impressed by Mitsubishi tubes in recent years.
      Can't comment about the compaq or samsung. If you view before you buy do that and then make your choice. As there's a lot of variance between models of the same type.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Why just optioning for the G450 or Parhelia? Why not take a look at the Matrox P-750?? It has most of the Parhelias featurs with a bit less speed, but tons of multimonitor support at a much lower price point.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
          For what I do, 2 19"s would yield more to productivity, than faster rig.
          Looks like you answered your own question...

Depending on the quality you're looking for, I'd look into the Samsung 19". They're decent monitors with a decent price.

Check also the 18" TFT screens, prices are tumbling down...

Comment

I use a Samsung 19" (900IFT) and it's very nice (excellent picture), if a little bulky (but hey, what 19" isn't?).

Can you take a look at the 2nd hand screens first-hand, with a decent (your G400?) card driving them? For the price saving you could give them a life of 2 years, by which time TFTs might be good enough and cheap enough for what you do (presume you need the colour fidelity of CRTs). I recently got 2 cheapo re-conditioned 17" jobs (same model), and they are nice (although one is better than the other ) - I didn't see them running side-by-side first though.

And the P-650 or P-750 sound like they could be exactly the video cards you are looking for.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

DrMordrid, Gnep:

My main machine is for: surfing the web, working (graphic freelancing), CAD, studying and of course gaming.

P750 is not as great at gaming and Parhelia costs about 50% more - expensive solution, wouldn't be utilized untill i get a new rig.

G450 - great PCI card - cheapo solution.

Used Monitors: in Autumn, the Adi developed a defect, I was quite broke at the time. So I couldn't spring for either new 17 or used 19 and I needed a replacement ASAP.

Now I regret that this isn't new 17" with warranty and flat or used 19.

Now WRT to used 19's - I always had more or less dinky monitors, although it is better to have better monitors and worse rig. I want something cool this time - open to suggestions.

Samsung, LG, Iiyama, Sony?

The 2nd hand screens are 150$ a piece per 19", you can connect them to Ati Rage powered Compaq or the like desktop running win2k and play arround with them untill you find the right one.

You also have 15-day money back guarantee.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 17 July 2003, 16:19.

Comment

2x NEC-Mitsubishi LCD 1760NX - OK color fidelity (should be enough if you don't need 100% accuracy for print pre-production), great all around picture, 1280x1024 (you shouldn't wring out more out of a 19" tube anyway, and these LCDs have square pixels), fast enough for gaming, save space and electricity, are very cool, and cost only about the same as the two new 19"

But then I'll be jealous

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                X