Clear All

• Scientists Question Missile Defence Effectiveness - What a Surprise

washingtonpost.com

Questions On Missile Defense Plans
    Scientists' Report Questions Technology's Effectiveness

By Bradley Graham
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, July 16, 2003; Page A02

An extensive study by a national group of scientists raised serious doubts yesterday about the likely effectiveness of some weapons that President Bush is pursuing in his drive to develop a system for defending the United States against ballistic missile attack.

The study, by a 12-member group under the American Physical Society, the largest U.S. association of physicists, focused on a category of weapons intended to knock down enemy missiles soon after launch in their "boost phase."

It concluded that while the boost-phase approach might provide some defense against longer-burning liquid-fueled missiles, such a system would push the limits of what is technically possible. Even more critically, the study found, boost-phase weapons would likely prove entirely ineffective against faster, solid-fueled missiles that potential adversaries -- notably, North Korea and Iran -- are projected by U.S. intelligence analysts to possess within the next 10 to 15 years.

The study did not deal with the central part of Bush's program -- a plan to install land-based interceptors in Alaska and California that would soar into space and obliterate enemy warheads arcing through their "midcourse phase" of flight. But Pentagon officials have acknowledged limitations to this scheme and spoken of the need to supplement it eventually with boost-phase weapons.

Delivering its findings in a 400-page report, the APS study group stopped short of calling the administration's expanded work on boost-phase technologies a waste of money. At a news conference in Washington, group members declined to be drawn out on the implications of their analysis, saying the purpose of their nearly three-year study had been simply to address technical issues.

"We just wanted to bring the facts forward," said Daniel Kleppner, a physics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and co-chair of the study group.

But the group's lengthy critique is certain to complicate administration efforts to win congressional support for boost-phase systems, on which Bush planned to spend nearly $1 billion in 2004 out of a total $9.1 billion proposed budget for missile defense. Appropriations committees in both chambers of Congress already have voted to slash by half or more a Bush request for $301 million to begin developing land- or sea-based boost-phase interceptors.

Another boost-phase program known as the Airborne Laser, which involves mounting a laser in a Boeing 747 jetliner and zapping missiles, is further along in development and expected to receive the $626 million that Bush has sought for it. But weight problems and other technical glitches have bedeviled the program and forced delays in the first intercept attempt, now scheduled for 2005.

The Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency issued a statement yesterday saying agency officials had not "had an opportunity to digest" the APS study but remained "confident" about the administration's course. "We continue to believe that boost-phase technology has great potential for playing a vital role in a layered missile defense," the statement said.

Boost phase refers to the first three or four minutes after launch in which a missile's burners remain lit. Flaming plumes make the missiles easier to detect by overhead satellites.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

The APS isn't what it once was; an independent group of scientists. Since the late '70's due to some rules changes in its charter it's been acting more like the antiwar movements mouthpiece.

As a result they've been naysaying every advanced tech. defense program for the last 20+ years, including many things that have been proven sucessful in combat

The Aegis SM3 exoatmosphereic interceptors do work and have taken out missiles in boost, midcourse and terminal phases in numerous live fire tests over the Pacific.

Also witness the performance of the Patriot PAC-3 in Gulf War II: they scored about 90%. Not too bad for a program this same group opposed on technical grounds

The performance of these two items are enough that many nations, including Europeans, are now moving into the US court and asking for the technology. Australia announced last week.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 July 2003, 11:39.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sadly the greatest weakness has already been demostrated. The enemy within.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What would these physicists know anyway? Lets turn all major scientific advancements into weapons first because that will benefit all of mankind.

To think we are at the top of the food chain and all we can think about is self-destruction.

Comment

These weapons are to prevent destruction, not cause it. Nothing wrong with that.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

SURE THERE IS!

Just ask all the liberals.

They can't tell you WHY it's bad to have anti-missile defenses, but it is.

Gurm_
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Ahhh...you mean that same moronic reason why it's bad to meet home invasion types at the door with a shotgun, right?

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Are you all going to carry on both sides of the argument yourselves?
                Or can anybody join?
                chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

I am going to try and not get involved. This was debated previously.

Last edited by Brian R.; 17 July 2003, 10:37.

Comment

I'm waiting for a GOOD reason (other than "all weapons are bad" and "that's expensive") to NOT have a missile shield.

Until then I'll argue their side for them, in a sarcastic manner.

Gurm_
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      I'm waiting for a GOOD reason (other than "all weapons are bad" and "that's expensive") to NOT have a missile shield.
                      Can I take it it that you don't care about your wife & childs safety?
                      After all, they would be MUCH safer if you drove them around in a $130,000 Diesel Truck than whatever car you have (even a Volvo 960).
                      And don't use the lame excuse that it would be too expensive.
                      chuck

PS I'm a liberal and my thoughts on the matter are much more complex than you give me credit for.
                      I'm not even against the idea of having a missile defense system.
                      Imagine that.....
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

You don't have to be part of the group of "liberals", if you don't want to. You can just be a lonesome ol' liberal.

Kinda like you don't have to be part of the "Catholic Church" to believe in Jesus.

Gurm_

Comment

Besides, I don't _have_ $130,000. Even if I diverted funds from the "food & rent" budget.

The USA has plenty of money. They can divert all the funds from "curbside recycling", and it'd MORE than pay for missile defense, while providing an ACTUAL service... since MOST curbside recycling goes to the landfill or the trash-burning plant.

And no, I'm NOT talking out my ass on that one. Go check. In Massachusetts, ALL curbside recycling is burnt at SeaMass. I worked for the DPW a few years back. At that time, only 50% of recycling was burnt, the other 50% was dumped in the landfill. Their "10 year goal" was to get it all burnt. Wow, makes all that work people do on it seem all worthwhile, huh?

Gurm_

Comment

If all the traits attributed to "Liberals" by the conservative fantasy were really true it would define out almost all liberals.
                            It's as if I said that without exception conservatives were bleating sheep intellectually following Rush around wherever he leads them AND Christian Conservatives AND Bush Royalists AND Wanabe Mountain Men etc....

Of course, being a Liberal, I can admit that this can't really be true for every one of them.
                            Conservatives, being conservative, have a hard time dealing with non-absolutes. This makes it difficult for them to cope with the vagaries of the real world

chuck

/edit: sp
                            Last edited by cjolley; 17 July 2003, 12:22.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

You could sell your car and your house & it's contents.
                              You don't REALY NEED that stuff do you?
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X