What the Murc think about this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Murc think about this...

Wait: The developer and the research team is able to work on 3 different project. The current (Parhelia) the next (p2) and the future products. So we can expect that Matrox have much information to share whit us. I don't believe that any of their card is a top secret card because almost certainly it will be a card based on the DX platform of Microsoft avaiable to all the developers. Off course some proprietary features can still under NDA but the majority of the information can be revealed to us without any difficulty. This will be considered a very good courtesy form to the MU. Is this so hard to do by the Matrox Boss or by the Matrox Employee? This is not problem regarding shareholder or similar things. Indeed the Matrox company is much free than other companies tied to their hungry shareolders.
    This type of behavior will carry a series of benefits to the Matrox company. I am sure about this.

Please: Feel free to comment with "constructive critic" and let the message arrives to the ears of the Matrox's Man.
    Haig you can spill the bean???

Ciao
    Amiga Blitter

Sigh
    It would be marketing folly to release specs of a future card. if the future card was fantastic it would kill the sales of your current card.

Also it would give your competitors more lead time to produce a product to cripple yours in the market place.

Understanding this, I can tell you without a doubt Matrox's next card will allow you to output images from your computer to some sort of display device.

Happy now, you have the answer, Matrox's next video card will be guess what?
    'A video Card'
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Has it ever been customary to provide information on the next release (and the following one) or on any projects currently under development?
      OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

Ex, That is the practice of companies like ATI and NVidia. Specs of upcoming chip designs are released a good 3-12 months leading up to release. However I honest believe you can see a strategic reason for doing so. By releasing the specs for the soon to be latest and greatest when you competitor is about to release theirs.... well you know what happens . Besides that release of spec just fuels the mindless fanboi masses (aka biased review sites).

Now I don't believe that something like that is totally necessary for a company like Matrox. Mind you it would be awesome to just know that Matrox is working on something. Sometimes it is hard to see the end of the tunnel when you hear absolutely nothing
        The poster formerly known as "ahardjan"

Comment

Originally posted by treilanin

Now I don't believe that something like that is totally necessary for a company like Matrox. Mind you it would be awesome to just know that Matrox is working on something. Sometimes it is hard to see the end of the tunnel when you hear absolutely nothing
          I agree with you on that point. Matrox has kept projects tightly under wraps from day 1, so I don't see that changing. It would be nice to let excited users in on the details, but there really is no choice but to accept the fact that Matrox keeps projects quiet until the right time comes.
          OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

Knock, knock
            Follow the white rabbit.

I still believe that a more contact (or opinion exchange) between the customers and the company is only a benefit. For example a customer could have a great idea to comunicate with them. Yet another example, what you think about a card that follow ms spec for direct x? A question: some time ago Matrox and Amiga announce together a partnership regarding the future amiga product. Amigaone is now shipped with ATI card inside "not Matrox". The current development direction of matrox product is the best? Do you think that this are not my affairs? If yes, you are wrong. Because i Buy a super card (so called by someone) at the incredible price of 500 € and this card in not completly used by the driver. By the way there are other way to develop super video cards, and i believe that matrox is not covering this ways.

Comment

IMO, it would be a wise decision if Matrox would hype their upcoming products, even if the information about them is very minimal.
              That way you (Matrox) could be sure to keep your loyal fanbase interested until the next release date.
              If there hasn't been any news about the upcoming products for a long time, there is always a possibility that the current Matrox-users go and buy something else and
              Matrox have lost one potential customer again.

You know, people tend to use their cards for some time before doing another upgrade and if they already have bought a new card,
              they probably aren't interested in Matrox-cards when they become available (if they come out only a very short time after purchase).

Comment

good

Comment

Well, considering, that Parhelia rumours started as early as December 02 and Parhelia came out in June 02....

There were enough rumours.

If you look at graphic history, you'll notice that Matrox comes out with new "mainstream" - not MMS or similar card every year from March till Jully (Q2/Q3).

It's reasonable to believe they'll come out with something else next year.

Furthermore, since G550, P650, P750 cover classes bellow Parhelia, it's reasonable to believe next card is not going to be less powerful than Parhelia, either as powerful and cheaper or more powerful.

They're also due for new MMS product sometimes next year, which will most likely be based on P650/P750 - pitou core.:

G200MMS in 2000, G450MMS in 2002, P650MMS in 2004?

Expect rumors about next mainstream card to start surfacing in December till February, as usual IMO.

Also hype/rumour mill, officially released specs - sometimes it's better to allow specs to be "leaked". This way you can always deny/dismiss them if you scrap/change the product.

What we know so far:
                  Matrox next card will be replacement for current card (as always), since P650 is replacement for G550 and Parhelia is the oldest of the lot, it's going to be Parhelia replacement.

Parhelia 8x - don't know wether it's canned or are they waiting to clear stocks of Parhelia chip boards.

Parhelia II aka Pitou - most likely canned, with R420 and nV40 due at end of this year/early next year, it's also likely not powerful enough.

So either we'll see Parhelia "400->450" with a dieshrink and slightly higher clock or a completely new card "200->400"

Also Longhorn (Next Windows) will set a milestone for graphic cards.

Expect next year's cards to fully aspire to longhorn, if they won't they'll go the way of Voodoo and Glide.
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 16 July 2003, 13:41.

Comment

UtwigMU,
                    You've hit right on the spot..
                    Matrox is never going to change..
                    Sadly my last card from them is a g400 still chugging along happily in another pc.
                    I got myself a Ati 9500pro for myself as i seem to be gaming most these days and i cant stand nvidia IQ..

That doesnt mean i may not buy Matrox Card again.. If i really need to do WORK, I'd be getting myself a Matrox
                    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Well, i hope this opinion exchange can involve MATROX rapresentative in this forum. Just little bit of information to complete the already painted picture???. Anyway there are other ways to create a Grafichs card and Matrox are in the wrong way. Correct the point of view can be a good start program.
                      Last edited by Amiga Blitter; 17 July 2003, 00:35.

Comment

I think Pitou could be a marketable product if they can, by its release, convince most users that the Parhelia is a professional product in the ranks of FireGL, Quadro, and 3DLabs cards.

To do this, they'll have to deliver with certified drivers for all apps and get the pros involved...

The pros will be willing to pay for the card, whatever it costs, if the OpenGL accuracy is good and the speed compares with the competition.

Gamers are unwilling to spend that kind of cash.

My favorite thing about the Parhelia is that one can do everything with one card, from gaming to multimedia, to photo/video editing, to the best in 2D and multimonitor.

Nothing else exists that does all that.

Now if PII was prepared as a product to do everything, and was marketed appropriately, it might have a place in the market.

P8X seems like just a matter of time, as they have apparantly had it ready for a while now...
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Well, i hope this opinion exchange can involve MATROX rapresentative in this forum.

Comment

Soupy IS a MATROX EMPLOYEEEEEE
                            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Sometimes I notice some members have trouble reading between the lines.

Other times I notice some members have trouble reading the lines
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X