Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The capacitor turned inside out... and it exploded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The capacitor turned inside out... and it exploded!

Ok, the inside out part happened after it exploded... but I just found out why a friends Epox MVP3G5 (which used to be mine until I upgraded a long while back and gave it to him) decided it suddenedly was unable to run a K6-2 550 at more than 450 without the voltage sagging down to terminally low levels.

He had recently upgraded to a Duron 800 system, and was giving another friend some spare parts. He pulled out a box of stuff, and I recognized my old "reliable" MVP3G5, but quickly decided it was a damn good thing that we had given it away... one voltage regulator capacitor had totally fragged, and most of the others were obviously ruptured and leaky. The wiring on one of the torroidial transformer thingys (not sure if they're chokes or what) was blackened from overheating, and the paint on the ferrite core had burned and melted off. The amazing thing was, it still worked!

LMAO Galaxy Quest

Interesting that you mention this, check my thread here.

Comment

Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yup....I had more than one ABIT board suffer serial capacitor explosions, loud ones, and this was a very common event for about 2 years with their boards. IIRC they just fixed it by upping the quality of their parts a few months ago.

When the first one happened the case was open when 8 of 'em exploded very loudly within a few seconds. The wife started yelling "They're shooting at the house!!", after which the kids started hitting the deck and the dog starts trying to tear down the front door.

Exactly who she thought "They" were I have no idea

I just sat there watching the show wishing I'd had my camera loaded so as to record all the chaos

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 July 2003, 01:24.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

heh, it sounds like your making popcorn when all the caps on an Abit decides to leave the party
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I got a little worried suddenly, I got the Epox 8RDA3+ 6weeks ago...

Comment

Working...
            X