Zoran Heat Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoran Heat Problems

I took the challenge (maybe an imposible one) to have My Marvel G-400 working in W2K.
    I started from scratch in a new Asus A7N8X DELUXE
    Santa Cruz Sound C. Maxtor 160 Gig hard drive ATA-133.
    I intalled: OS, latest SPacks and DirectX and Vtools only.
    I spent like 4 days in a row combining IRQ settings, AGP settings,
    I also gathered advices of people everywhere.
    Try different versions of VTools including Adis VT 3.0
    Matrox very own WMD Win XP driver in XP Home.
    VirtualDub, Huffyuv, PicVideo M-JPEG, Premier 6.0 capture.
    Zoran M-JPEG.

Before I went nuts and fustrated I draw some conclusions and opinions.

1. Why Matrox release a WMD driver that works flawlessly for XP but limit the fame size to a quarter d1 resolution?
    Why they did not ported to the W2K OS?

2. One of the best driver that worked on W2K for me was VT 2.02.017 together with Display Dvr 5.88.061.

2. I arrived at some succesfull settings that sooner than later became bugy.
    For instance I could capture 1 hour staight of Video with like 3 droped frames in full size medium quality. Then the next time I tried VTools bring my Os to a blue scren.

3. I have this heat theory. and the reason is that when using the most demanding settings I have the most dropped frames using the Zoran MJPEg.
    So I Decided to take a test and I took an antistatic bag and put a cube of ice in it. Then I put the marvel to capture in Zoran to capture Full Resolution and Maximum quality.
    I holded the bag right in top of the zoran chip and looked at the results.
    To my surprise there where only 3 frames dropped in a 15 min capture.
    Maybe Marvel go wacko after a data congestion whe zoran gets too hot and can handle data fast enough. Same when overclocking.

So I Placed an order for a VGA Heatsink and a slot fan that goes nest to the AGP slot.
    I am waiting for this to arrive and will tell about my results.

If this doesn't work I will definetelly drop this Marvel and get a Leatek Winfast TV/FM $50 that work like a champ and even have FM and remote.
    or Adaptec VideoOH Media center about $180.

Sometimes I feel robbed by Matrox in this, since I spent $350 on this card.

Lets, see.

What speed processor do you have?

Thanks,
    Elie

Comment

Let's not forget that the nForce chipset has an AGP bug that often forces cards to fall back to PCI operations (Elie: check your beta posts for a reference on this).

Perhaps some of the local techs here could elaborate on if this could cause overheating when the card pushes a lot of bits, as in video capture.

I know that with SiS, Intel and AMD chipsets heat has never been an issue with me and I have three G400-TV's running several hours a day.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 July 2003, 21:42.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X