Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destroying CD backups

Hi Ya Folks,
    I finished off one of my major work projects, and now I have about two dozen cd's with data that I need to get rid of.
    What are your methods of destruction?

Wrap em in newspaper and hit with a hammer or use them as coffee mats shiny side up.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I was thinking angle grinder actually

Bucket of turps should do it actually -> not particulary enviromentally friendly though

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Use them as coasters (literally! - once was in a rental property that was nicely decorated and furnished for once and wanted to protect the furniture from coffee mugs/wine glasses etc and for parties they make a great inexhaustable supply)
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

just scratch the TOP (where the CDs are printed) something sharp, until the metal layer comes off. you don't have to get the whole layer off, just make some BIG scratches that cover the whole CD from inside to outside, and you'll be set.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Paint them and make into decorations.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

80's style ear-rings?
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Clay pigeon shooting ?
                (allthough, if you are very good, you might shoot through the centre, not breaking the disk)

Hammer-time / angle grinder seems the most effective to me...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Reflectors on bicycle wheels?
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Microwave!!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC
                      Microwave!!
                      ooooh sparkly
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I just hold them down in the waste basket and break them in half.
                        Is that too low tech for you?
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I love google

https://www.roxio.com/en/support/dis...troydiscs.html

http://www.cdrom-prod.com/information_security.html

Rakido
                          "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

my prefered method, if you don't mind a little clean-up, is to frisbee throw them against solid walls (outside works well, too). If you throw it hard enough, you get a nice little explosion of pretty glittery thing. It's really cool, and the data is completely unrepairible, as the CD-R is in a million little pieces.

The other way to make sure the data can never be recovered is with fire, fire...yeah yeah. A metal wastebasket outside, some lighter fluid and a match. It stinks to high hell, but it gets the job done.

Jammrock
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

"While you can buy a special CD destruction device for about $6,000 (hand operated) and the motorized version for about $11,000, the budget-conscious among us will surely opt for a cheaper solution."

GAWD

Comment

Working...
                              X