how does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does this work?

Follow the instructions in this to see a masterpiece be replaced by a rather nice pair (slight care required at work).

The question is, how?
    I can't replicate it outside of Word.

Last edited by Fat Tone; 15 July 2003, 04:09.
    FT.

Can anyone with MS Office tell me what this is about?

Comment

Shouldn't this be in digital imaging ?

It also works in IE.

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Oops, I should have tried the image first... This particular thing does not work in IE, but I assume the technique to be similar. One just has to find the pattern to be used in order to mask the hidden image...

(shouldn't there be an office warning ?)

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

nice!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I like the hidden one better than the flowers
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
              I like the hidden one better than the flowers
              clearly

Comment

mmmmmm, flowerlicious.
                Last edited by Ajax; 15 July 2003, 11:54.
                --Insert something here--

Comment

Amazing!
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

hehe, how the h@ll did they do that?!
                    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Mmmm, bubblicious..

Comment

I should verify when I get my computer back up and running, but I think it is something like this:

Van Gogh image:
                        colours all in lower value range (e.g. 50-150)
                        interleaved image:
                        colours all in high value range and compressed (e.g. 230-255), which provide for the white "fog".

Reducing the brightness makes the Van Gogh image very dark (thus the image itself becomes nearly invisible), e.g. < 50. but puts the other images in a more normal colourrange (e.g. 130-155).
                        Upping the contrast "decompresses" the range of the other image (e.g. from 130-155 -> 100-180), making the hidden image visible, while at the same time compressing the Van Gogh image (e.g. 0-50 -> 0-30).

I may be way off with my numerical values here, but I think this principle is what's behind it. More detailed knowledge on how brightness and contrast is dealt with in word provides a means for optimizing the effect.

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

That all sounds very sensible, VJ. I haven't been able to reproduce it in anything else...can you? (I mean copy the image into another package and perfrom the same operations).

Cheers

T.
                          FT.

Comment

I'm currently without my hardware:

But I have tested on another computer here, and can't seem to reproduce it in other (simple) software I have here.

I'm suspecting that Word's brightness/contrast are performed differently then in most other applications. Have you tried clipping the colour (e.g. erase everything with values above e.g. 150 or 200) and then normalize the image ?
                            (software I have here can't do that...)

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

Spent an hour trying it in PhotoPaint, using all the quirky gimmicks and could not get it to work.

If you look at it magnified in Photopaint, there is a chessboard pattern. In van Gogh, the superimposed squares are in shades of the subdued background colour. In Word, the "screen" is diagonal.

Now try this: save the image as a jpg file. Import it into a new Word file. It is much smaller at 100% and the trick does not work, even if you scale it to the same size. I admit I'm a wee bittie flummoxed as to how it works.
                              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                              X