Intel Application Accelerator...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Application Accelerator...

I've been mulling over posting this for the past week now, but frustration and anger have set in. I have recently upgraded my main system from a P3-700 to a P4-3.0Ghz machine. My HW specs are listed below in my sig. I am using WinXP Pro. I have the latest BIOS on the MSI NEO2-FISR MB and can not for the life of me get Intel® Application Accelerator RAID Edition 3.5 to install. It keeps telling me I do not have the correct hardware (ie ICH5R chipset).

Initially I had tried to install version 3.0 of the IAA RAID Edition, but to no avail. Please someone, anyone help me out with this.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am NOT running a raid, and all my drives are connected via a EIDE connectors.
    Last edited by mmp121; 14 July 2003, 20:11.
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

The Intel® Application Accelerator RAID Edition software package provides support for high-performance Serial ATA RAID 0 arrays and redundant RAID 1 arrays on select Intel® 865 and Intel® 875P chipset-based platforms using Windows* XP or Windows 2000. The following sections describe the major benefits of Intel® RAID Technology.
    If you therefore have no SATA drives connected and are therefore not running a SATA Raid, you simply dont need it, and I guess the Intel guys were simply too lazy to write a snotty message to tell you as much.
    Lawrence

Comment

Does that mean I should not be running ANY type of IAA? I mean I am running IAA on my Shuttle system and that is the 2.2.2 version of IAA. Should I use that on my i865 chipset system?

BTW, thanks for the heads up on that little bit of detail.
      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

The Intel® Application Accelerator as well as the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition do not support the ICH5 I/O Controller Hub. The Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition only supports the RAID controller in ICH5R and will not work with an ICH5 I/O Controller Hub.

and

Focusing the latest version of the Intel® Application Accelerator on RAID features using the newest Serial ATA technology was deemed as the best value add for desktop customers as RAID 0 enables higher performance gains for the platform than was possible with previous versions of the Intel Application Accelerator.

If you have an Intel® 865/ICH5R chipset or Intel® 875P/ICH5R chipset and are using Parallel ATA (IDE) hard drive(s), you should be able to use the Microsoft* native storage driver built into Windows*. The Microsoft native storage driver supports both Serial ATA and Parallel ATA hard drives.

Note: Intel Application Accelerator 2.3 is still available for systems using Intel® 800 Series Chipsets and Windows* XP, Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), Windows 98, and Windows NT* 4.0.
        Lawrence

Comment

The msi 865PE neo does have the ICH5R chipset. You need to enable it in the bios and have the latest bootrom bios which hasn't been supplied by MSI yet.
          You'll also need to attach to the sata ports.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

IAA is just INTEL'S new name for their "use the cpu to boost HDD performance" Busmaster driver

It's known to screw up things for burners and likewise.....

The purpose of busmastring is(was?) to ofload the CPU, but this one does exactluy the oposit to make it a bit faster

Its only really needed on Windows95/98/ME

On W2K or XP the built in is all you need if you are on an Intel chipped mobo
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Ayuh. I was about to post what Technoid said.

Only if you are experiencing trouble with your IDE devices using the XP/2k built-in drivers, or are otherwise having poor performance, should you install the IAA.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Which is what basicaly what Intel says unless you're using raid.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Many thanks to everyone who showed me the way. I was assuming that I needed to install IAA to get the most out of my new system. But I guess IAA is just a bunch of hype that does not really need to be installed......YET
                  Go Bunny GO!

Titan:

Mini:

Server:

Comment

I have a serial ATA hdd and ICH5R and neither of the application acceleration versions would install.
                    I don't have any paralel ATA hdd installed so the bios remaps it as IDE1 on auto and won't boot or even get detected by the bios on SATA 0.
                    Remaped as IDE1 it gets detected, boots and shows in device manager as running in UDMA mode 5 on the Primary IDE Channel.

Well, Im' quite confused on this one.

Comment

Admiral

It is called "RAID IAA" - you perhaps required to have a second SATA drive and define an array before you can install said PITA?

Oh and just for fun - see page 6 of the manual at the bottom - on "On-board SATA RAID" it says " Only supports Windows XP

PS - Running on exactly the same mobo with a 2.8G HT P4 now for about 3 weeks and love it - no SATA disks though.
                      Last edited by LvR; 15 July 2003, 09:55.
                      Lawrence

Comment

Last time I installed the IAA it completely screwed up my PC. Had to re-install to fix it.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                        X