Gotta get a new video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta get a new video card

Money is tight, and my GF3 is on it's way out. I need a new card that's at least as fast, I'd really like VIVO so I can capture video, and I need it cheap. I'm looking at the two below so far, leaning towards the second. Any advice?

Erm... "the two below"?

You mean the 9000/9200?

Get the 9200.

Or get a 9100, which is just an 8500.

The 9000 is poo.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

This too much? It'll be faster than the 9000 with better/faster AA. (Multisampling vs. Supersampling.)

Comment

Oh yeah, and IQ matters.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
          This too much? It'll be faster than the 9000 with better/faster AA. (Multisampling vs. Supersampling.)
          Yeah, that's a little more than I'm looking to spend. Good find tho.

Comment

What about this? The 5200 is just overall a better card, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
              What about this? The 5200 is just overall a better card, I think.
              The price is doable...although the "FX" name is a bit scary. Anyone know any more about the card? How well/fast it caps video? How about IQ? Speed?

Comment

HardOCP (I don't know of another ) did a comparison between 5200 and 9200.

That's not card specific though, I think Chrono Wanderer has this card actually.

Comment

Yikes. You think that the GFFX is overall a better card than the Radeon 9x00 series?

I'm so sorry.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Based on the [H] review, they're about the same. On another review, that had a "5200 Ultra", it was faster than the 9200. Hmmm.

Comment

Gurm, the 5200 has FSAA that is:
                      A) Faster.
                      B) Better Quality.
                      C) Actually usable (due to the supersampling on the 9200, it is very slow).

Without AA, they are pretty much equal on speed. (They both trade off victories in different games)

That is just comparing the 9200 to the 5200.

WRT to the rest of the GFFX line: the 5600 is a good card but pretty much equal to the equivalent 9600Pro, the 5900Ultra okay, but it is (usually) outclassed by the 9800Pro.

Comment

And also, I'm not sure if this applies in your case Kooldino, but nVidia by far has the best FreeBSD and Linux support.

Comment

Linux support IS nice, but I'll only be using that card in my XP machine for now.

Comment

And the GFFX has better AA _this_week_, with _this_ set of drivers.

Who knows what'll happen once they release non-cheating drivers?

ROFL.

Plus, every driver set ATI has bumped their performance by 20+% lately. They're catching up FAST, even on their slower cards.

- Gurm

Comment

Gurm, I understand what you are saying. But, the cheating was about implementing static clip planes in 3dmark and lowering pixel shader FP precision, with NV dumbing down to 16FP or FX12 (integer). Nothing there about AA, and it is still in 3dmark. So look at the game testing.

I forgot to mention they did lower AF quality for a short time, but now it is fixed, and NV supposedly has a better method for AF than ATI as well. I'm not sure whether or not 9200 can run Trilinear + AF simultaneously either. (Because it is based on 8500 which could not.)
                              Last edited by bsdgeek; 14 July 2003, 09:12.

Comment

Working...
                              X