Mac HD partitioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac HD partitioning

Friend of mine came over today...he had a 12G HDD in his G3 iMac, and we were replacing the drive w/ a 30G. We tried a few programs to clone the drive, but they wouldn't read the Mac partition, so I hooked it up to a hardware HDD cloning machine I had access to.

We put the new 30G drive in the place of the 12G, and everything worked fine...except...the disk space. The OS (OSX) recognized that the DRIVE was 30G, but would only see the one partition. We tried using the built in disk manager to partiton the HDD, but it wouldn't allow us (options were grayed out). Any ideas on how to add partitions w/ the remaining space?

IMO;

1. remove the HDD

2. install it in a PC

3. use the MAC for a boat anchor

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Good one Dr M
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, It would be a really nice Boat anchor, but you can start the mac from the OSX install CD and partition the rest of the drive frome there
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Try using Carbon Copy Cloner and Apple System Restore. http://www.bombich.com/mactips/asrx.html

You basically make a drive image of the 12GB HD, then transfer it over to the 30GB and "restore the system".

We use radmind here, but that would even more complicated to setup for just doing 1 computer.

If you instead just want to partition the drives without redoing it all try the command line version of the Disk Utility:
          diskutil

I've found using the command line stuff on OS X is much easier, but I came into OS X from Linux.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

what's a mac? Isn't that a hamburger?

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
              Try using Carbon Copy Cloner and Apple System Restore. http://www.bombich.com/mactips/asrx.html

You basically make a drive image of the 12GB HD, then transfer it over to the 30GB and "restore the system".

We use radmind here, but that would even more complicated to setup for just doing 1 computer.

If you instead just want to partition the drives without redoing it all try the command line version of the Disk Utility:
              diskutil

I've found using the command line stuff on OS X is much easier, but I came into OS X from Linux.
              Yup, Carbon Copy is pretty straightforward. (I wish Powerquest added added Mac support to its products...)

Comment

Working...
              X