Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick way to transcode MPEG1 VCD to DVD compliant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick way to transcode MPEG1 VCD to DVD compliant?

I'd like to make a series of DVDs from a number of VCD-compliant MPEG1 files.

MPEG1 is an allowed format for DVD Video, but most authoring softwares will refuse VCD files because they use 44.1KHz audio, whereas DVD allows only 48KHz.

Some authoring packages may overlook this but I'm not sure how most standalones will behave when fed such discs.

Is there some little tool somewhere that can make this an easy task - transcode MPEG1 to 48KHz audio? I'd like to avoid having to demux, re-encode audio, and remux (for some authoring sw only accepts program streams). Of course, I'd like audio to stay in sync after this process too , I know, I know, asking a lot

Any tips? TIA!

Neko

For the record and info of others;

you can use VideoCD files on a DVD directly since both MPEG-1 and the 352x240/288 (NTSC/PAL) resolutions are part of the DVD spec. You can also use 352x480/576, 704x480/576 and of course 720x480/576.

The only real limitation on MPEG-1 for DVD's is that it has to be CBR. Only MPEG-2 can be either CBR or VBR.

MPEG audio is expected by the spec when using MPEG-1, but unfortunately a lot of authoring software is more limited than the DVD spec itself. Not Uleads though...

Presuming you're using DVD Workshop or DVD MovieFactory2 the trick to using alternative frame sizes without recompressing and VCD sources are;

1. check the box labeled "do not convert compliant files".

In DVD MovieFactory2 this is in the menu opened by the checkmark shaped button at the bottom/left of the Finish page. In DVD WorkShop this item is on the Finish page itself.

2. set the DVD's resolution to the size of the highest resolution clip in the project that meets DVD spec. This usually isn't a problem since the default is the largest size of 720x480/576.

That should result in the VCD files video not being converted during the DVD build process, though the audio will have to be resampled to the main project audio setting if necessary. This is usually very quick and not a problem.

If you happen to be creating NTSC DVD's and are authoring with DVDMF2 LE (comes with MSPro7), DVDMF2 SE (comes with some burners) or DVDWS-AC3 then AC3 is the project audio setting to use since its more compliant.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 July 2003, 13:27.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I'm not using Ulead authoring software, and just for this I think it's a bit expensive.

The tool you suggest, Maggi, isn't really intended for this. It patches headers of MPEG2 streams to fix resolution and aspect ratio. Do you have experience using this tool to patch MPEG1 VCD files for audio purposes?

Neko

Comment

nope, sorry ...

it was rather a wild shot and I was hoping it would work for MPEG1 as well and hence that it possibly could fool your authoring app.
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

No go on MF2

Doc, I tried the settings you advised on a PC with MF2.

The software insist on re-encoding the video to MPEG2. It simply will not accept the vcd mpeg1 files as compliant files it seems (these are pro vcd's that passed spec tests so it can't be the vcd files)

Another odd thing is that MF2 bloats files it seems. These vcds are about 450MB each, so 9-10 should fit on a DVD, but MF2 says at 5 files already that it's full - I presume it assumes a re-encoded size already when adding files?

Any idea what's going wrong?

*edit* I noticed in the help file - under 'compliant DVD files that MF accepts' - that only MPEG2 is mentioned for DVD, MPEG1 only for VCD. Have you tried VCD files in DVD template for MF2 before?

Neko
          Last edited by KuroNeko; 15 July 2003, 13:11.

Comment

Have you applied the patches on Uleads site, notably the VIO patch? This sometimes fixes things not listed on its "fixed" list.

10 should NOT fit on a DVD as that would be bigger than the 4.2g limit for video content. The 4.7g size is counting 1000 kilobyte gigs, not the 1024 kilobyte gigs we use for sizing video.

Yes, I put VCD files on DVD's without anything but the audio being recoded all the time. The video goes in unchanged.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Doc. Not sure if patch is applied - its not my PC.

The patch is labeled as for W98 on Uleads website. THis PC is running W2K. Can I use it there too?

Neko

Comment

Yes. I'm using it in Win2K and WinXP to solve an AC3 timeline issue, as in getting them to appear.

It's also for systems that have Premiere 6.5 installed since it too uses the MainConcept MPEG encoder and can cause problems with MSPro7's installation of same.

Terry
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

OK. I'm trying to get hold of the owner (who's abroad on vacation) to get permission to install the patch. I'll let you know if it helps.

In the mean time I've been playing with this little sw. Must say, it's the most userfriendly beginners authoring package I've encountered. Simple with few options, but enough for starters and all easily and quickly accessible. No need for a manual on most points.

Unfortunately, for those points that are unclear, the manual is no help at all.

For instance, I've been trying to make a simple DVD menu, 4 pages with 3 clip hotspots each. Now trying to get audio that covers all 4 pages is not possible. This option is always greyed out. Nowhere in the manual an explanation for this, in fact the manual seems to refer to a previous version, as the audio menu points are different.

And a few bugs too. 1st menu page on burned DVD has white letters, as set. Next 3 pages, in spite of selection of white color, texts are black. Not nice if the bg is mostly black too. The preview in the program showed the correct colors...

Neko

Comment

OK, installed the patch. Still same - always converts to MPEG2

Doc, here's what I do, maybe I'm missing another step:

1. start MF2, default settings, and start a new DVD project.
                    2. on next page, add 1 VCD file (program stream)
                    3. next page, any menu - just a test so...
                    4. skip test run
                    5. at bottom, checkmark icon, set to "do not convert compliant files". I've tried several templates, up to "custom, 352x240, CBR, 1150kbps" which would be vcd if in MPEG1. But it just rerenders into MPEG2

what am I missing?

Neko

Comment

Working...
                    X