Need computer shopping advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need computer shopping advice

I'm in need of a new computer, and would like to get some advice about which components I should choose.

This is what I've decided to buy:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Boxed PC800 - Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood"
    2x TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2
    Chieftec Dragon Big Tower m/dörr silver - Kabinett m/360W DA-01SL-D P4 / AMD
    Some random DVD drive
    Some random CD-R drive

I'm intending to salvage these parts from my old box:
    My trusty Parhelia 128MB
    WD 160GB 8MB
    WD 120GB 8MB
    SB Live 5.1
    SkyStar2 DVB-S

The big problem I have is to choose a motherboard for the new computer.
    It should (obviously) support 3200 memory, PC800 P4 and optionally have a third and fourth IDE port.
    Gigabit LAN is a bonus, but not required since I'm only on 10MBit internet.

My intended use is schoolwork, programming, fair amount of gaming, satellite data receiver.
    I'm going to run Windows XP Pro or Windows 2003 along with Slackware.

I'm leaning towards a motherboard with I875 on, but I've got no idea which to use.
    Last edited by Zao; 13 July 2003, 11:05.
    <font size="-4">User error:
    Replace user and try again.
    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
    </font>

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP and Asus P4C800 Deluxe if you want the extra IDE ports and gigabyte LAN.
    Gigabyte's slow with the bios updates/fixes (which mainly involve dual-channel problems) for Canterwood so I'd say get Asus, unless you're interested in the serial ATA Raid Gigabyte has (ICH5R vs ICH5).
    Also think you should consider a more powerful PSU.
    Last edited by Admiral; 13 July 2003, 11:43.

Comment

Asus doesn't do CSA on their i865/875 line of boards afaik

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
        Asus doesn't do CSA on their i865/875 line of boards afaik
        the new p4c800-E deluxe does!

Comment

This is a P4C800 Deluxe:
          Komplett Group is the largest online-first electronics retailer with a core focus on consumer electronics and gaming products in Scandinavia. The group has continuously been at the forefront of online retail and developed the e-commerce industry in Scandinavia.

There are no '-E' on it, is it the same?
          System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
          System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
          </font>

Comment

The E also seems to have an ICH5R southbridge beside the CSA LAN thing.
            this is the E on that site

edit: ordering online from the UK, can't you find it in Sweden ?
            Last edited by Admiral; 13 July 2003, 13:04.

Comment

Watch out for the WD drives. Make sure wherever you get them from has a REALLY good return policy, because their build quality is EXTREMELY sketchy.

I've had TWO bad 120GB 8MB drives, which is NOT a good track record.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

They're very loud too.

Comment

Gurm, bsdgeek: I'm running three WD drives in my current computer, and they aren't that loud.
                  Haven't broken down yet either.

Admiral: I use komplett.se, but I thought I'd link the english version here, for those of you who aren't fluent in Swedish.

Strange, the board is in their sortiment, but is not listed in the motherboard listings...
                  Last edited by Zao; 13 July 2003, 13:51.
                  </font>

Comment

It's relative to everything else, for me they are loud because everything else is almost silent. Compared to Seagate or Samsung (even Hitachi/IBM) they aren't quiet.

I don't know what to say about the reliability though.

That said, if they don't bother you, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Comment

Just avoid the 7205 Granite Bay and 7505 chipsets. Both have serious AGP issues you don't want to deal with.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Zao

Admiral: I use komplett.se, but I thought I'd link the english version here, for those of you who aren't fluent in Swedish.

Strange, the board is in their sortiment, but is not listed in the motherboard listings...
                        On the UK site it is, with an unconfirmed stock starting 25th of this month. On the Swedish site (and going blindly there) only the P4C800 and P4C800 Deluxe seem to be listed.

Comment

If I take that link and change .co.uk to .se, it's listed as unconfirmed on 25/7 there too.

It'll probably fix itself until I'm placing my order.
                          </font>

Comment

Just a thought (since there's a thread on this subject going on right now), maybe you should wait another month or so for Prescott compatible motherboards if you plan to sit on this motherboard and only upgrade CPU in the next 18 months.
                            Last edited by Admiral; 13 July 2003, 15:32.

Comment

That sounds like a reasonable idea.

I'm not going to really need the new computer until the beginning of September, when I go to Uni.
                              </font>

Comment

Working...
                              X