Really useful screensaver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really useful screensaver?

I just installed a Casio screensaver (because I just ordered a really fancy Casio watch and was browsing the site). It shows the time & date! Woo!

Just wondered if anyone knows of an interesting/useful screensaver (apart from SETI, FAH and the like)?

I guess what would make it useful is a collection of news items, a calendar, maybe an embedded calulator (obviously it wouldn't quit in the normal way), joke of the day, interesting links...who knows?

Cheers,

T.
    FT.

Our standard one at work (which we can't change...) is a map of the world which shows where it is day and night - and also the time at our key office locations (London, The Hague, Houston, Singapore and some others). Oh and the local time and date in big letters at the bottom.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Does standby mode count? It's useful in that it really saves your screen, and power to boot!

Anti-Virus screensavers? (Or rather, anti virus scanners that run when the screensaver is activated)

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Re: Really useful screensaver?

Off Topic:

Originally posted by Fat Tone
        Just wondered if anyone knows of an interesting/useful screensaver (apart from SETI, FAH and the like)?
        You should still enjoy DF without a screensaver! Just download this and use handle 5nswmnh4.

Comment

hehe. I've been there, done that. Never found any aliens, folded a few gazillion proteins... saving the juice now
          FT.

Comment

More useful ideas: It should cover all monitors (be at 1, 2 or even 3 ) and it could show your unread email account.

How about if it had a mode to do some or all of this on a monitor of your choice whilst you worked?
            FT.

Comment

It sounds to me Fat one that Desktop Sidebar is definetely what you want (or perhaps Codename: Dashboard).
              Only one downfall: this isn't a screensaver

Infoscreen could do it probably. But it will be planning forever I guess

Something usefull you say...

How about this one? (don't tell me that fireworks aren't usefull )

Too bad that Electric Sheep is available only for *nixes

Collective dream of sleeping computers...this idea sounds highly tempting to me.

edit: OMG, there is a beta of Electric Sheep for win32 on their site!
              At last...too bad I can't check how bad my 115 kb/s will handle downloading the sheeps because I won't be able to play them anyway
              Last edited by Nowhere; 13 July 2003, 10:36.

Comment

Working...
              X